Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum snapshots

Adventurer

Maximum snapshots

Anybody knows the maximum values for local and remote snapshots?

6 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Re: Maximum snapshots

System maximums are listed here: https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v50:app-system-maxim...

Maximums for snapshots really have to deal with the amount of vDisks that those create, so check out vDisk maximums

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Adventurer

How do you count vdisks? Is it 1 vdisk per 1 snapshot?

Wayfarer

Hi. I'm running AOS 5.1.3. When I goto the VM section, I expect to be able to see an area whereby I can view snapshot info - inlcuding taking a local snapshot. I don't see that at all. Am i missing something?nutanix_vm.PNG

Moderator Moderator

You're running VMware on that cluster, there is a difference between hypervisor snapshots and storage array snapshots in that case. To take hypervisor snapshots, those would be done via vCenter. To take storage array snapshots, those would be done via a production domain under data protection tab in prism.

If you were running AHV, you'd see a screen like this instead (notice both the VM Snapshots tab and the Take snapshot action button)

Screenshot 2017-12-11 12.12.24.png

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Moderator Moderator

@jkcp1 - Sorry I missed your question from way back when. Generally one snapshot == 1 extra vdisk. So if you had one VM with 7 vDisks, and you took 2 snapshots, you'd have the equivalent of 21 vDisks within the system on the backend, as the system is keeping track of the state of all of them

Please Kudos if useful!
Highlighted
Wayfarer

Thanks!