Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed on Mellanox NIC status check in NCC

Trendsetter

Failed on Mellanox NIC status check in NCC

Hi guys,

I have a block configured for customer and it is running with the latest NCC (3.0.1.1) 

Everything, the test result seemed fine except for the new check called Mellanox NIC Status check:

/health_checks/network_checks/nic_link_down_check

FAIL: Mellanox NIC vmnic2 have speed below 40G.

I got this error and it recommended me to find the KB 4114 in which the solution is opening the case to find the support on this

Yes I know I need support but I think before that I also need to have a workaround this problem.

Is this error expected on the Mellanox NIC? Currently only vmnic2 is running

7 REPLIES
Guardian

Re: Failed on Mellanox NIC status check in NCC

I'm using SX2012 with twinax cable

don't find any error when running NCC

are you using octopus ? also make sure 40GB link are enable on Mellanox side 

Trendsetter

@bezeddin Thanks for your reply

Currently I am connecting to the Mellanox NIC via a Brocade L2 switch with a normal 1-1 optical cable. Are you mentioning about a required octopus 40G cable? How about deleting that kind or error in case of I don't need to use 40G speed link?

I don't know much about "enable 40Gbps link on Mellanox side", might I forget doing something?

Guardian

I thought you use Mellanox switch as well. If using Octopus you should activate 4 x 10GB on switch side (Mellanox) 

Looks like Mellanox NIC ready for 40 GB you need to check the Brocade

anyway does it affect your network performance ? jumbo frame running well ?

Trendsetter

Oh, actually I don't have any desire to make the NIC working in 40G speed link

Because this block is being configured for customer so I need to find a suitable reason to explain about this

This kind of error might just started to be integrated  into the newest NCC version (3.0.1) because I have not found any same kind of this message before in the previous NCCs 

I don't know why the Mellanox NIC working speed below 40G speed link check is maked as FAILED as I think that this should be not so much important 

Guardian

looks like previous NCC would be your best choice Smiley Happy

anyway have you found similiar issue using other NIC vendor with NCC 3.0.1 ?

Trendsetter

There is no problem with Intel NIC and the newest NCC version so far

Hmm, personally I think Nutanix should change this error to WARNING instead of FAILED.

For confirmation, Is this the check that to check whether the NIC is currently running as a 40G link or not? I did not see any definition of this check on the KB

Highlighted
Guardian

agree, the best way is to open case and working with SRE closely

I don't think this check for 40GB compliance and it only happen when using Mellanox NIC