Server Virtualization

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2016 HV and version 5.5

SOLVED Go to solution
Trailblazer

Re: Windows Server 2016 HV and version 5.5

That's not what I have been told though. It is the foundation 3.11.2 that is not supported for imaging XC on 2016 and even if you were to set it up from scracth, it would still require foundation to image the node and fail. Apparently upgrading from Dell XC will be available in 5.0.1 or something like that.

I had the idea of ejecting my nodes one by one and using foundation VM to bare metal each node to 2016 but was told it would still fail as foundation would block it as it is not supported yet!!!!! Smiley Frustrated

Moderator Moderator

hey folks - sorry for the heartburn. I'm on my way back from Japan right now, let me get some answers to both the G3 question and the XC point internally and post back here.

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

Just wondering (this may be a silly question)......since the Nutanix selling point is commodity x86 hardware running awesome software is the future, why are there so many differences in installation between the Nutanix classic and others vendors like Dell XC, HP, Lenovo, etc? With the exception of the IPMI remote management cards (which may require additional drivers) aren't all these servers just commodity hardware (CPU, RAM, SSD, HDD, NIC)?
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

You'd be shocked at how difficult managing multiple hardware fleets is with a single set of software. This is even more tricky when you're throwing four different hypervisors in the mix. Trust me that the devil is in the details, especially when it comes to interacting with low-level hardware/firmware and the lifecycle management associated with that. 

Did some looking into this. At least on the G3 angle, this is a perfect example of a platform specific nuance that is specific to one type of hardware and one type of hypervisor. The G3's shipped with a BIOS setting that doesn't work with DDA. All we have to do is change that setting, and DDA passthrough works for both new imaging and upgrades. 

The tentative plan for G3 is to publish guidance on what BIOS setting to change and how. Give us a minute to make that right guys.

For XC, this looks like a late breaking issue. The team's working on it now.

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

Agreed....that firmware portion can be difficult. I asked because I saw where Nutanix was considering fully discontinuing hardware sales (Nutanix classic) and going to a straight software vendor. I assume this would be OEM hardware only or would this also include DYI builds (which would make it even more difficult to "support").
Moderator Moderator

We do support what we call "software only", thats where HPe, Cisco, Klas, Crystal, and others (unnamed here) come in; however, we spend the amount of time and effort qualifying those platforms as well. We also continuously validate that "new stuff" doesn't break on those platforms. 

Even then, we publish a very specific hardware/firmware compatibility list for all of those platforms, such that our customers know exactly what we've tested and works.

Long term, you'll see that loosen up a bit

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. We've addressed the dell issues internally, and are putting out a hot fix to cover them. Knock on wood, trying to land that hotfix this week. Will know more at the weekly platform launch meeting this afternoon.

Please Kudos if useful!
Nutanix Employee

There is a new iso_whitelist for use with Dell XC series and 1-Click Upgrade to 2016, which will be included in the 5.5.0.1 release.

Apologies if I caused any confusion by preliminary posting the link here.

\Rob

Trailblazer

Single Node Cluster with VMs for AOS 5.5

I know this is outside the topic.....but just wanted to know if I create a single node cluster do I have the ability to grow it in the future by adding new nodes?

Trailblazer

Upgraded our lab cluster today.. AOS 5.1.2 > 5.5 went smooth.. AHV upgrade not so much. Smiley Happy Two of the four CVMs finished and two others appear hung. This was going from version 20160925.71 to 20170830.58. 

Moderator Moderator

Re: Single Node Cluster with VMs for AOS 5.5

rurikwilmot wrote:

I know this is outside the topic.....but just wanted to know if I create a single node cluster do I have the ability to grow it in the future by adding new nodes?

Not today @rurikwilmot

Please Kudos if useful!