Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMotion feature re-enabling on original vmkernel

Explorer

Re: VMotion feature re-enabling on original vmkernel

...log a ticket with Nutanix support, uploading the logs. It looks like a bug with Nutanix and v6 U2. Would be great if you could post their findings after

Wayfarer

We've seen this issue as well across multiple Nutanix clusters in our environment and only with Nutanix and not our other hardware.  I opened a ticket as requested but the Nutanix tech has asked me to open another with VMware to investigate further since we use distributed switches.  Is anyone else using distributed switches and experiencing this issue?  Is anyone seeing this behavior on standard switches? 

Squire

We have standard switches. i recently recreated the vmotion vmkernel to a new (vmotion) tcp/ip stack as opposed to the "default" with good results. The management network has stayed vmotion disabled through several migrations.   Doing this requires vcenter 6 for gui support although I have heard that you can do it in 5.5 with esxi console cli.

Explorer

We get this issue and only use standard switches.

Everyone here getting this only with v6 U2 or other versions?

Our specific build is 3620759. Interested to know others'

Wayfarer

After hearing back from VMware's US based support I was told that this is a bug which is fixed in ESXi 6.0 Update 3.

Nutanix Employee

Thanks for the update.

Do you have any VMware KB for this issue or some more detail on the BUG.

Thanks

Salman Siddiqi

Nutanix Employee

Didn't find any related item in ESXi 6 U3 release notes

http://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/vsphere/60/vsphere-esxi-60u3-release-notes.html#rserverissue...

A related topic on VMware forum but only a single reply

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/545510?start=0&tstart=0

Wayfarer

All I got from VMware support was the response below:

Resolution: Known issue. Resolved in ESXi 6.0 Update 3. Appears there is an issue with virtualNicManager not correctly tagging/untagging the service on the management vmkernel port.

Nutanix Employee

Thank you. Did you upgrade it and has it resolved the issue?

Highlighted
Nutanix Employee

In hostd log, you will see entries similar to this

hostd.0:2017-04-17T02:27:42.965Z info hostd[7FAC2B70] [Originator@6876 sub=Vimsvc.TaskManager opID=HB-host-10@282-4b28ee67-7f-e4b1 user=vpxuser] Task Created : haTask-ha-host-vim.host.VirtualNicManager.selectVnic-1066
hostd.0:2017-04-17T02:27:42.969Z info hostd[7FE81B70] [Originator@6876 sub=Vimsvc.TaskManager opID=HB-host-10@282-4b28ee67-7f-e4b1 user=vpxuser] Task Completed : haTask-ha-host-vim.host.VirtualNicManager.selectVnic-1066 Status success

As the task is associated with vxpuser, this is vCenter initiated. When I enable/disable vMotion from vCenter, my AD account is logged in hostd in the form user=vpxuser:domain\user.

When its done through ssh or locally, user=root.  Just "user=vpxuser]" looks to me non-human vCenter triggered tasks.