Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change CVM name

SOLVED Go to solution
Voyager

Change CVM name

Hi there,

I have a simple question for cvm.
Is that possible to change cvm name?

Thanks,

Sungho

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: Change CVM name

Actually, yes @DavChe, we have added support for this in commercial 4.6.1 and higher.

Command is: 

$ change_cvm_hostname <hostname>
Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
11 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hi @sungho 

Let me see what I can do to get you some info - Thanks

Nutanix Employee

Unfortunatly at this time there is no way to change the CVM host name - it's automatically generated from the Block SN and the location in the block.

We're working on changing this, but in the mean time you can setup the DNS entries so that it points the name to the correct IP, even if the display name once you've logged in is incorrect.

Voyager

Thank you for the reply.

I tell to my customer that there is no way to change CVM name at this time. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Pathfinder

Has this issue been corrected?

Moderator Moderator

Actually, yes @DavChe, we have added support for this in commercial 4.6.1 and higher.

Command is: 

$ change_cvm_hostname <hostname>
Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

Hey Jon,

Just tried to run this change hostname command however tells me I need root permission.  when logging into the cvm on my block I have been using the default nutanix/nutanix/4u, when trying to su to root it tells me the password is wrong, is there a default root passwords for the cvm's?

Thanks

Ryan

Vanguard

try "sudo command "  instead of "su"

Highlighted
Adventurer

Hi, same problem here.

I tried sudoing the command but no joy: password not correct or command not recognized.

Adventurer

I finally solved with sudo and writing the entire path to the command