How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data movement from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix

SOLVED Go to solution
Moderator Moderator

Re: Data movement from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix

hey @ashishs - We're happy to help out with this via our PS team if you'd like, as we do this exact thing all the time in customer PS engagements to design your specific environment.

Otherwise @magander3 is right, without knowing all of your requirements, its hard to definitively say exactly the right configuration for you. In general, more vDisks are preferred, but you also dont need to micromanage vDisks down to an ultra granular level. For a large file server, I'd roughly say 5-10 vDisks per VM.

Also, feel free to scale out the number of file server VM's you have, so that things like backup and recovery are easier.

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Outrider

Jon, currently we are using EMC VNXE3100 and have 7 shares of total 30 TB...attached screen shot of shares size...

Please let me know how many vms i need to create and how many drives i can assign per vm....?

Nutanix Employee

Hi,

unless we get the information i was talking about we can't make any recommendations. Please engage Nutanix Services for a complete desig or use the guidelines me and Jon have provided to test different setup options.

//Magnus

Moderator Moderator

hey @ashishs - Magnus is correct here, its hard for us to tell you exactly what to do, besides the general guidance that we've already given you.

If you want us to do the work for you, we're happy to do that via our great professional services team. They literally do these exact types of migrations every single day, and can be engaged on a paid basis to do the work on your behalf.

Also, I dont see a screenshot attached here.

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Outrider

Below is the screen shot of the current shares on EMC.....

Capture.JPG

Nutanix Employee

Hi,

please use our provided general recommendations and try your way forward or if you want a complete design you need to engage Nutanix services. We can not design a proudction environment in a cummunities thread.

thanks

Highlighted
Outrider

Gyus, Thanks for support. I wnat to update you we have successfully migrated 30 TB data from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix with existing settings i.e rights

Used robocopy for the same.

Again thanks for the support.

Nutanix Employee

ok sounds great. Good job

Moderator Moderator

Great to hear @ashishs. What file server design did you end up going with? Server OS, number of vDisks, etc? Would be good for others who find this thread in the future

Please Kudos if useful!
Outrider

Its simple file server, where around 200 users accessing their files. Usres are mainly used excel, word files. Server config is 4vCPUs, 16GB RAM, 6TB vDISK (Used space 3.2TB)