I have a production ESX cluster and an AHV cluster (currently Dev but will be live soon) and I want to move a couple of hosts out of the ESX cluster and then expand the AHV cluster. I want to make sure I have the correct process and do not miss anything but couldn't find this specifically documented anywhere. Has anyone done this already?
current plan is -
- Cluster checks.
- maintenance mode esx host to move all VMs off.
- shutdown CVM and allow maintenance mode to complete.
- remove VMhost from the prod vmware cluster in vSphere.
- remove from Nutanix cluster using the option in Prism.
- wait for Nutanix to remove the node.
- Expand the AHV cluster adding the released ESX host.
Any comments or advise would be welcome.
Best answer by manfred
you have to have a running CVM on the node being removed to allow the remove host to execute.
So after you have removed the ESXi host from the vSphere cluster you may power on the CVM again ; wait for data resiliency to be o.k. and then start the removal process in PRISM.