Nutanix Files Cluster comprises of multiple virtual machines or FSVMs, which require both internal (Storage) and external (Client) IP Addresses.
Files Cluster with 3 x FSVMs require at least 7 IP Addresses (3 x Internal + 3 x External + One Internal IP).
- Storage Network ( Internal Network ) needs to reach the CVMs and the Data Services IP (for best performance they should all be in the same subnet)
- Client Storage (External Network ) needs to reach the Domain Controllers and Client.
As of AOS 5.6 and Nutanix Files 3.x, File Server Re-IP is now a supported workflow as shown below.
The whole Re-IP workflow involves 4 steps
- From Prism, navigate to the File Server tab. Highlight the File Server and select "Update" --> "Network Configuration".
- Please remove the existing "File Server DNS entries" before changing the client network.
- Update the Client (External) and Storage (Internal) Networks and select "Save".
- Validate DNS entries have been updated.
Once the Network Configuration changes are updated, please update DNS entries again since we deleted the entries in step - 2 above, (before the process was initiated.)
For the complete process and how to change Files Cluster IP Addresses in different scenarios, please go through the following Nutanix KB: