Server Virtualization

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Clusters on Nutanix

Squire

SQL Clusters on Nutanix

Anyone running Traditional SQL Clusters on a Nutanix / HyperV implementation?

Tags (3)
15 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: SQL Clusters on Nutanix

Hello

Assuming you mean a Failover Cluster configuration, then I believe this is (currently) not supported as this requires sharing the data accross all nodes.

I believe Nutanix does not support a CSV nor sharing a vhd(x) file. 

We ended up using a SQL Server AlwaysOn configuration which is fully supported by Nutanix. Down side is that it requires an Enterprise license and more storage.

Hope this helps!

Met vriendelijke groeten - Kind regards
Tom Van Gramberen
Tags (3)
Nutanix Employee

Hi Tom, You're correct. We don't yet support SCSI 3 Presistent Reservations, which are required for the shared disks to work properly with failover clustering. This is likely to change at some point in the future. 

Tags (3)
Wayfarer

Hi Michael,

What part of SCSI3 persistant reservations are not supported?  Is it only if shared VMDK's are used, or if, in a VMware example a SCSI adapter is set to physical bus sharing mode?

Reason I am asking is I see a really good future use case with Storage Replica in the next version of Windows Server. This still requires SCSI3 persistant reservations to talk to the underlying VMDK in Windows Failover Cluster manager, but the disks arent actually "shared" at the VMDK level as replication happens in-guest over SMB3 to the other cluster node. Reservations are only used to control locks to the destination replica at the OS level. 

I wrote about this in my blog here http://www.cloudypolitics.com/virtualize-windows-storage-replica-cluster-on-vsphere/

Hopefully with this feature we can create windows clusters on Nutanix using SQL Server Standard edition.

Cheers,

David

Tags (3)
Nutanix Employee

Hi David,

SCSI3 PR isn't implemented in the Nutanix SCSI stack as yet. So anything that requires SCSI3 PR, including Pass Through RDM's for Failover Clustering, will be prevented from working. However in the case of failover clustering there is a solution that will work on Nutanix using third party tools. If failover clustering for SQL Server and other applications is required then SIOS DataKeeper and other similar tools can be used to enable the traditional failover clusters. These third party tools are supported by their respective vendors.  I'll update this thread when there is more news on SCSI3 PR and also any validation / joint papers with SIOS and other vendors of similar technology.

Kind regards,

Michael

Tags (3)
Wayfarer

vcdxnz001 wrote:

Hi Tom, You're correct. We don't yet support SCSI 3 Presistent Reservations, which are required for the shared disks to work properly with failover clustering. This is likely to change at some point in the future. 

Hi, you indicated that SCSI 3 Persistent Reservations are not supported, but is CSV supported? Beginning in SQL Server 2014, AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances supports Clustered Shared Volumes (CSV) in both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. // @vcdxnz001

Thanks, 

Ian

Tags (3)
Nutanix Employee

CSV aka Cluster Shared Volumes also requires SCSI 3 Persistent Reservations. This may work with NOS 4.1.5, which has just been released as SCSI 3 PR is now tech preview. But we haven't tested it. 

Also SQL FCI aka MSCS aka Failover Cluster is now in tech preview with the use of in-guest iSCSI as of NOS 4.1.5. 

Tags (3)
Scout

Hi @vcdxnz001

Has this been tested yet?

Jason

Tags (3)
Nutanix Employee

Hi Jason,

We have tested it internally in our QA and performance lab environments across the world under various different conditions for quite some time now (across all phases of testing). Performance may not be as good at the moment as it will be when the feature is GA. Tech Preview does not mean not tested. But it should be used in non-production environment until we fully GA the feature. It will become GA in a future release. 

Tags (3)
Wayfarer

Hi @vcdxnz001

Is it going to be supported to synchronously replicate a pair of Windows Cluster VMs (VMWare) using Nutanix replication to another Nutanix cluster?

Is it even supported to have local Nutanix snapshotting of cluster pair of VMs?

Put another way, what options are there for protecting/DR of any cluster pair? Would prefer to keep away from SQL mirroring/log shipping.

Tags (3)