Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning machines with Snapshots takes time

Highlighted
Adventurer

Cloning machines with Snapshots takes time

Cloning machines with Snapshots takes time. Even if the machine has 1 snaphot on ESXi it takes time but without snaphots its not even 10 seconds.

4 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Re: Cloning machines with Snapshots takes time

Hi HorizonView,

Nutanix uses the VAAI (vStorage API for Array Integration) plugin to allow for quick cloning of VMs.  This allows the cloning to be offloaded to Nutanix for a faster process.  VAAI can't be used when a snapshot is present on the VM which explains the difference you are seeing.

-Ben

Adventurer

I am using Horizon View so this clone activity is delaying the Recompose task and Shadow clones are enabled. Is there anything specific I can change or suggest the customer ?It takes approx 5 minutes for 30 GB parent machine with 2 GB of Snaphots max

Nutanix Employee

I would suggest reading the best practice guide http://download.nutanix.com/solutionsDocs/RA-2058-VMware-Horizon.pdf. In Support I've specifically seen slowness and errors when host caching/ storage accelerator is enabled on View.  I would check to make sure it is disabled.  If it is I would advise opening a case to have a SRE investigate further.

Adventurer

I did look at the same guide and I am not using CBRC and utilizing NFS VAAI. Just to be sure this is also slow even while using the Web client without Horizon into picture.