A few questions on logs collection and rotation today.
- Are the logs deleted automatically?
- Yes, they are! With newer AOS versions log bundles older than seven days are purged from CVM automatically.
- Is there a way to check /home space usage of a CVM from the Prism
- Unfortunately no. Please refer to solution section KB-NCC - Health Check command fails with error "No space left on device" NCC - Health Check command fails with error "No space left on device" for the command on how to check the space usage.
- Is there a difference between log collection triggered from the Prism as opposed to the same from the CLI.
- The end result is the same however CLI method allows for more flexibility due to additional options.
From NCC 3.7.1 onwards, use of the Logbay utility for log collection is recommended instead of log_collector due to performance, usability and feature enhancements. Logbay eliminates performance issues that sometimes are observed with log_collector.
If you have not yet upgraded NCC, please do. It can’t be any easier! Follow Nutanix Cluster Check (NCC) 3.9 Guide: Install and Upgrade (NCC).
More on the topic: