Question

NIC Drivers wont install after xtract migration from vcenter


Badge +1
I migrated a Server 2012r2 VM from vmware 5.5 to our Nutanix cluster and upon powering up the VM, the NIC no longer exists. I tried to re-add a NIC through Prism however it still does not show up. I've also tried updating the virtIO drivers, uninstall/reinstalling the NIC and reinstalling the virtIO drivers to no avail.

10 replies

Badge +1
Silly question....did you install NGT?
Badge +1
Nope, just the virtIO drivers that get auto installed when using xtract.
Badge +1
dmcadams wrote:

Nope, just the virtIO drivers that get auto installed when using xtract.



Let's install the Nutanix Guest Tools and your issue will be solved.
Hope this helps, let me know 😉
Badge +1
UPX wrote:


dmcadams wrote:

Nope, just the virtIO drivers that get auto installed when using xtract.

Let's install the Nutanix Guest Tools and your issue will be solved.
Hope this helps, let me know ;)


Thanks, but that did not solve the issue. The NIC is still unavailable through ncpa.cpl and through device management it says Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31)
Badge +1
Windows is a mess
if it's not too much time consuming for you, i suggest you to install NGT on the VM before the migration and then try to move to AHV.
Otherwise there are some steps to follow involving edit the windows registry and so on to try to resolve this issue. You can easily find searching for that error code related to Windows 2k12
Badge +1
UPX wrote:

Windows is a mess
if it's not too much time consuming for you, i suggest you to install NGT on the VM before the migration and then try to move to AHV.
Otherwise there are some steps to follow involving edit the windows registry and so on to try to resolve this issue. You can easily find searching for that error code related to Windows 2k12


I have tried that as well and it still does not work.
Badge +1
last shot could be trying to change the kind of nic you attach to the win vm on esxi
probably now it is a vmxnet3 so try with an e1000, install NGT, shutdown che vm and retry the migration process.
Badge +1
It's already an E1000, same as all my other VMs that have been migrated successfully. Thanks though.
Badge +1
did you try also the latest Virtio drivers? ver. 1.1.3?
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hi @dmcadams

How did you make out? Were you able to work through it? Be great to share so others in the community could benefit. Thanks 👍

Reply