Solved

AOS upgrade path (current 5.1.4 target 5.5.0.5)

  • 27 February 2018
  • 12 replies
  • 10003 views

Badge
Hello,

My current AOS version: 5.1.4
In the https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/upgradePaths

It shows from 5.1.4 is not supported to 5.5 above, will I be able to upgrade to 5.5 above in the future?

OR If I do a clean initial installation, will I able to install AOS 5.5 above on the same block?

Thank you,
icon

Best answer by farhanparkar 1 March 2018, 09:23

Hi,

Yes if you want to do it from scratch, you can use foundation and install 5.5

F>P
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +19
Hi,
As of now you cannot upgrade, afaik 5.1.5 will let you upgrade to 5.5.x. you can check with support for confirmation if its production.

F>P
Badge
Thanks, farhanparkar

I'll check with support.

but if in case, I want to use 5.5.x before any official announcement , I can always do an initial installation with 5.5.x AOS, right?
Userlevel 3
Badge +19
Hi,

Yes if you want to do it from scratch, you can use foundation and install 5.5

F>P
Can we downgrade from 5.1.4 to 5.1.3?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I am also interested. We are new Nutanix customers and started off with 5.1.3. Various features of 5.5 are important to us, so before going production I wanted to upgrade. Following the instructions, I upgraded Prism Central first. The one-click wasn't available, so I did the manual upgrade. After several support calls, we had PC at 5.5. I went to go from 5.1.3 to 5.5.0.2(I think it was .2) and it would not allow. Bunch of errors. I figured maybe 5.1.4 was needed as an intermediate upgrade. Big mistake. Now I am stuck in limbo. I can't go production without 5.5 features. Every support person claims that the upgrade path to 5.5 from 5.1.4 is imminent (fro the last month). One support tech told me that 5.1.4 to 5.5.0.5 would be supported. Then the claim was 5.5.0.6. I really don't want to scrap all of the work already put into our 3 Clusters. If I knew a date for 5.1.4 to 5.5.x upgrade, then I could plan. My assumption at this point is that Nutanix reps are just pacifying me and the upgrade path from 5.1.4 to 5.5 will be months away, if not next year. We are in a holding pattern and not getting any straight answers. Luckily, this does give me more time to learn the system.

So, from the seasoned Nutanix users, what is a realistic expectation of 5.1.4 to 5.5 (even 5.1.4 to 5.1.5 to 5.5.x) being available soon (within next week)?

Without an answer, soon I will have to call support and have them rebuild my clusters.
I'm also interested in this as we run 5.1.4, and I'd like to use the latest version.
Badge +3
my.nutanix.com states that 5.5.0.6 is now available.
but apparently:
code:
  "upgrade_from": [
"5.0",
"5.0.0.1",
"5.0.0.2",
"5.0.1",
"5.0.2",
"5.0.3",
"5.0.3.1",
"5.0.3.2",
"5.0.4",
"5.0.4.1",
"5.1",
"5.1.0.1",
"5.1.0.2",
"5.1.0.3",
"5.1.0.4",
"5.1.0.5",
"5.1.1",
"5.1.1.1",
"5.1.1.2",
"5.1.1.3",
"5.1.2",
"5.1.3",
"5.1.3.2",
"5.5",
"5.5.0.1",
"5.5.0.2",
"5.5.0.4",
"5.5.0.5"
],

does not show your 5.1.4.
So I think you should talk to your sales rep ASAP!
Badge +1
Hello,

I got answer from nutanix support:

***
You're correct, AOS 5.5.0.6 is not compatible with 5.1.4.
At this point we don't have any release in 5.5.0.x branch that's compatible with 5.1.4, and there is no plan to change this.
The first release in 5.5.x that will allow upgrade from 5.1.4 is AOS 5.5.1.

The tentative release date for AOS 5.5.1 is end of March.
***

Almost here 🙂
Hello,

I got answer from nutanix support:

***
You're correct, AOS 5.5.0.6 is not compatible with 5.1.4.
At this point we don't have any release in 5.5.0.x branch that's compatible with 5.1.4, and there is no plan to change this.
The first release in 5.5.x that will allow upgrade from 5.1.4 is AOS 5.5.1.

The tentative release date for AOS 5.5.1 is end of March.
***

Almost here :-)

Great! Might as well just wait it out since the end of march is approaching fast 😉 I'm not really looking forward reinstalling clusters so this upgrade path might be the best solution.

Thanks for the response.
Any update on this? I can see that 5.1.5 is out, will that mean the next update will go to 5.5.0.6?
Any update on this? I can see that 5.1.5 is out, will that mean the next update will go to 5.5.0.6?
As stated above, the next release that will allow you to migrate away from 5.1.5 / 5.1.4 is AOS 5.5.1, which had a tentative release date end of march.
Least we got the upgrade to AOS 5.6 now, so I guess I'm happy I can move away later today, although its not LTS.

Reply