Anyone Sucessfully upgraded their Hypervisors?
AOS is at 5.5, but my freshly downloaded VLCS 2016 server iso's MD5 hash isn't matching the Hash in the Json upgrade. Have a support case open, and did contemplate editing the JSON file, but decided to ask first!
alexxdavid - a.k.a. Trailblazer was running the upgrade of his DR nodes as soon as it was available. You can look back through this thread and see his screenshot of it.
Ah, my mistake. Are you downloading the ISO from the MS volume license portal? It has a download manager build in that will verify that the download is successful.
Yup, VLSC (Volume Licensing Service Centre) downloaded.
MD5 hash checked with powershell :
Get-filehash .\SW_DVD9_Win_Svr_STD_Core_and_DataCtr_Core_2016_64Bit_English_-3_MLF_X21-30350.ISO -algorithm MD5
Gives a filehash of EEB465C08CF7243DBAAA3BE98F5F9E40
The hyperv_upgrade_metadata.Json is looking for e02d2e482b0f3dab915435e9040c13b4
David did upgrade his DR site to both AOS and hyper-v 2016, but did run into a few hiccups here and there, the VLSC thing being one of them, but did power through and get it going AFAIK. We've been chatting back and forth. I'll let him comment on his journey so you can hear it directly from him.
We've got a ticket open for that VLSC piece to chase it down. We did qualify VLSC for foundation imaging (so its on the foundation whitelist already), but for whatever reason that it didn't make it into the upgrade whitelist. Please continue to work with support as you're doing so we can track this all properly.
I'm doing the exact same - upgrading DR first.
Shall wait for support to come back to me, and update here if there's any interest.
As mentioned by Jon, I upgraded both the AOS to 5.5 and Hyper-V to 2016 on my DR NX appliance. AOS upgraded without any issues as expected. As for Hyper-V I also ran in to the same issue where the metadata file was missing the VLSC version of 2016, and filed a bug with support.
As I had done it before and knew how to modify the metadata, I ended up replacing the values to support the VLSC ISO. During the upgrade process, one of my node rebooted after mounting the Phoenix iso and the server wouldn't boot up. 2 of my nodes upgraded to 2016 successfully so I knew it wasn't an issue with the process. With the help of support, the unbootable node was then re-imaged and the installation continued its process. It was great to see the Repair Host boot Device feature working as expected. My 4 nodes are now running 2016 and the cluster wasn't down 1 second.
I used to have 2012 R2 GUI and got offered the option the option of swapping to 2016 Core which was my preference. GUI is still an option for those who may not be comfortable with powershell or have specific requirements. Regardless of version, device manager was showing around 75 Base System Devices entries. Windows update didn't find anything when using Sconfig. I used project Honolulu as we are actively using it and it found all the necessary drivers (What looked like chipset ones) along with Windows Updates.
All in all I have to say that this is a very solid release! I can see myself upgrading our Production Cluster in no time!
new metadata file is up for VLSC media