Server Virtualization

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V 2016

Nutanix Employee

Re: Hyper-V 2016

Hey everyone. Support for Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V is coming with the 5.5 release which is due soon.  We had some announcements in conjunction with Ignite a few weeks ago and you can find more details here: https://next.nutanix.com/t5/Nutanix-Connect-Blog/Nutanix-Set-to-Deliver-Support-for-Windows-Server-2... @Raymon

Moderator Moderator

Hey folks,

Sorry for the extreme delay. I realize its borderline silly at this point, and on behalf of everyone in engineering (including myself), I appreciate your patience. 

Here's the deal. 2016 changed quite a bit for us (which is a net-good thing), and that took us quite a while to adapt in a way that we could uplift our existing 2012 customers to 2016 in an easy manner, and provide a kick butt product for net-new hyper-v installs as well.

I won't rattle off each detail, for the sake of keeping this direct and to the point, but rather simply say we've worked through all of those challenges, and are projecting to launch 2016 support with AOS 5.5. 

Given we're a public company, I can't put a forward-looking date on 5.5; however, I will say from the engineering perspective, we've got all hands on deck working on closing down this release, which means final QA and launch prep. We've already got alpha and beta customers on 2016 Hyper-V in the field right now, and have molded their feedback into the product.

In general, and this goes for the *ENTIRE* customer base, if you ever feel you're in the dark on something, please feel free to email me directly jon@nutanix.com from your business emails and I'm happy to chat in detail about what we're up to. For 2016 Hyper-V specific issues, I'm happy to loop in the PM for that feature as well, and we can discuss even more. We pride ourselves on being a pretty open book here at Nutanix, so my "digital door" is always open.

My apologies again that we didn't update this thread with our progress, but I'm hoping this will suffice for the last little bit of waiting we need to do (collectively) before 5.5 launches.

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Journeyman

Hello Jon,

It took a year to release compatibility with Hyper-V 2016, how is Nutanix planning on keeping up with Microsoft's Faster Release Cadence for Windows Server & System Center as they will be releasing new version every six months now ?

Reference -

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/hybridcloud/2017/06/15/delivering-continuous-innovation-with-window...

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/hybridcloud/2017/06/15/frequent-continuous-releases-coming-for-syst...

Thanks.

Moderator Moderator

Thats a good question @rohanfargade. A lot of the time spent getting Hyper-V 2016 working was what I'd call "structural" work, as we had to both recode an extremely large portion of our Hyper-V support as well as extend the code to work in both directions (to support rolling upgrades and the sort). Quite a large task, and certainly larger than we thought it would be.

Now that the structural work is done, supporting those faster release candidates (knock on wood) should be a heck of a lot easier. Its all for the best though, especially with support for DDA, it greatly simplifies the way we do things, so the overall complexity under the hood has been reduced.

Anyhow, looking to the future, we're already looking at those incremental "fast train" releases. Working on the pre-release 1803 code right now

Jon Kohler | Technical Director, Engineering, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!