Server Virtualization

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To enable nested virtualization on AHV?

Journeyman

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Re: How To enable nested virtualization on AHV?

Is this AHV on CE or commercial Nutanix?

Tags (1)
Journeyman

Its AHV

Tags (1)

I'm curious about this as well.  Is there any way to enable nested virtualization (make hardware assisted virtualization available to the guest os?)

Moderator Moderator

Yes, you can enable cpu_passthrough flag in ACLI vm.update

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=AMF-Guide-AOS-v50:acl-acli-vm-auto-r.html

That will expose typical nested virtualization support.

Note: Enabling nested virtualization precludes that specific vm from many features, such as ADS and live migration. It also precludes the cluster from doing any sort of rolling maintenance that would require live migration. 

i.e if you had to upgrade the hypervisor or BIOS, you'd have to shut down the VM with this flag enabled.

This is because KVM/QEMU based systems, just at general technology level, do not support live migration for nested virtualization enabled VMs. Google apparently just patched this for GCP but that code hasnt made it upstream yet.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Explorer

I am trying to enable an nested ESXi 6.5 instance running on AHV.

I have neabled the setting which allows the install to process however am now presented with a Network Driver Issue. "No Networks Adapaters were deteced"

Any advice?

Explorer

Incase it helps I got this working by doing the below:-

1. Created New VM meeting min requirements for ESXi 6.5

Using ACLI changed the following

2. Add compatible Nic to stop NIC error:-
vm.nic_create VMNAME network="NETWORKNAME" model=e1000

3. Enable CPU Passthrough stop CPU error:-
vm.update VMNAME cpu_passthrough=true

4. Add and ATA / IDE disk so a boot disk is discoverable at install
vm.disk_create VMNAME container=default-container-XXXX create_size=100G bus=ide index=1

Nutanix Employee

Similarly I got it to install however, after sometime, it purple screened.  On subsequent reboots, it vails while loading the Balloon VMCI piece.  It ran successfuly for quite awhile though.  How is yours working?

Thanks