Product Ideas

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nutanix Visio stencils

Explorer

Nutanix Visio stencils

I've made my own version of Nutanix Visio stencils.

Official Nutanix stencils are using raster based product images and have some issues with scaling. My stencils are (mostly) vector based and scale much better when zooming.

Please visit my blog for more details:
https://dontpokethepolarbear.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/visio-by-dptpb-nutanix-stencils-v2/
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Re: Nutanix Visio stencils

Hi Sami. The reason you are having scaling issues is probably because of your PDF export settings. If you want hi-res graphics, do not export PDFs using 'web' settings. Please try to use 'Print' settings at the least. Then the images should look a lot better zooming in and out. Let me know how that works for you. -Craig

A.C. Farley
(413) 885-7302

Technical Publications Group
Media Designer: Illustration, Design, Animation, 3D Modeling, Audio/Video Editing
Explorer

Hi Graig,

I respectfully disagree.

With Visio you can either "Save as PDF" or "Microsoft print as PDF", both will produce PDF files where the raster image based Nutanix shapes will not scale so nicely. Using free third-party CutePDF "print as PDF" will only produce marginally better results. 

There only so much you can save, if your basic architectural design is flawed, i.e you have decided NOT to use vector based images.

Now that I've seen SuperMicro X9 generation Visio stencils, I am pretty sure that SuperMicro X10 generation stencils would be ready to be used as Nutanix stencils with no or minimal modifications. Maybe license those stencils from SuperMicro and be done with it? 

One of the unique selling points of your actual product is that it scales so nicely. Why not extend this idea to your Visio shapes as well?

BR,

Sami

Nutanix Employee

Hi Sami,

Well, I disagree that PDFs can't be managed better.

You and I have already spoken on why we don't use vectors. So short version here is: I don't have bandwidth to redraw all my renders as vector illos. Visio is a lot to do besides only creating illustration. I'm just one guy, doing a lot of modeling and illustration and animation. Folks were asking repeatedly for Visio art, and I have pixel art that I make for tech illos that seemed to be better than no Visio at all. So I offered use of our Tech Pubs imagery. Folks at the company agreed that pixel images were okay. SM wasn't supplying any art, vector or otherwise, at the time.

We are looking into getting vector illos SM might provide. Hopefully that works out, and I'll use those then folks will have vector illos to use. I'm intent on folks having what they need, and want.

Thanks for all your help.

-Craig

A.C. Farley
(413) 885-7302

Media Designer: Illustration, Design, Animation, 3D Modeling, Audio/Video Editing
Explorer

Hi Craig,

It is all good now. I am result oriented and not really interested whys and whos when something goes wrong. I've accomplished what I wanted:

1. I have now vector based stencils that I can use. Happy to share them with the rest of Nutanix community

2. Got contacted by a Nutanix Director responsible for Visio stencils. They are thinking how to resolve possible issues related to the original Nutanix stencils.

BR,

Sami

Nutanix Employee

Hi Sami,

Nothing is going wrong here. It's going exactly like it was planned. You've done a lot of very nice work on the Visio files. I can feel your love for Visio and for Nutanix. I'm sure folks will get a lot of use from your effort. I'm very impressed with the considerable time you've put in on it and all for the love of it, free for people to use. I'm glad that you're doing this. Thanks very much.

-Craig

A.C. Farley
(413) 885-7302