Product Ideas

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra field when creating VMs

Trendsetter

Extra field when creating VMs

Hi Community,

First I would like to share my best wishes for 2017. I'm sure this will be a great vintage for Nutanix Smiley Wink

I already told this story to the designer but, let me share my ideas publicly.

When creating a VM it would be great to have extra fields like OS and status (Production, test, debug, ...). The motivation behind that is to be able to sort VM in the list by OS and/or status. Today, I'm obliged to add the OS and status in the VM name which leads to veeeery long names.

What do you think ?

Fred.

8 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Re: Extra field when creating VMs

If we had dynamic tagging, would that work for you? Or are you strictling looking for independent free form fields like vCenter has with annotations and custom notes?

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trendsetter

Hi Jon,

I already had this discussion with Vidhi and she told me about tagging facilities ... that would certainly helps but it has been promised a long time ago and apparently on Prism Central *only* ...

Can you elaborate your plans ?

Thanks !

Moderator Moderator

Vidhi's the PM, so she'd know best.

In short, thats an entity-centric concept, and right now, entity browser is only in PC. Eventually it will go other places, and tagging should follow.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trendsetter

I don't know if Vidhi is reading this forum but I can call her ...

Thanks Jon !

Moderator Moderator

I dont think Vidhi has a forums account, feel free to call, email, or slack.

Please Kudos if useful!
Outrider

Bump..

What will the solution be here? I have seen the lables in PC - but still imo not so intuitive / and not true Nutanix way .. 

I have X customers/+400vm's and want to tag VM's with customer reference / department etc. etc.. Then if i add many lables it really fast gets chaotic

Trendsetter

Hi,

Apparently, this is still not implemented from the latest discussions I had.

Agree with your concern and I'm still missing two fields in the VM creation process and management : OS Type and status (test, lav, prod, pre-prod) ....

Let's see what's the future

Outrider

Guess Key/Value fields would be the best option so i can create a key and put in values pr. VM - and then a sort / group by something in the list..

Then i can create custom fields and add my values etc - Customer Number = Number, Type = (Prod, Test, Dev) etc.. 

That would be preferred..