Product Ideas

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy to delete a VM

SOLVED Go to solution
Explorer

Easy to delete a VM

Dear Nutanix,

When we are trying to manage VMs in AHV under the PRISM platform, we just realised that it is easy to accidentally click on the delete VM button and the VM could be gone just with one single confirmation pop-up page, even the VM is still at power-on state.

I know we could protect the VMs with snapshots or remote site replication, but is there something that Nutanix could work on to maybe add a new feature for extra protection of the VMs, e.g. a fail safe lock etc.

Thanks!

Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: Easy to delete a VM

Hey @jack0729 - Thanks for reaching out, sorry for the slow response here. I see you filed a RFE ticket with support just yesterday actually, I pinged the case owner as we already have an open enhancement request for this within engineering, so he will link your case with that ticket.

I've also linked this product idea thread to that backend ticket as well, so we're covered.

I'm actually the one who filed that enhancement request long ago, so this issue is near to my heart. We've been exploring a few ideas but haven't come to a conclusion yet. This is actually one of those issues that sounds really clear cut, but is actually incredibly nuanced. As an example, modern public cloud providers behave in the same way that we do when deleting instances last I checked, so there is precendence for both the "immediate delete" approach as well as the "only delete powered off VM's" approach.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
2 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Hey @jack0729 - Thanks for reaching out, sorry for the slow response here. I see you filed a RFE ticket with support just yesterday actually, I pinged the case owner as we already have an open enhancement request for this within engineering, so he will link your case with that ticket.

I've also linked this product idea thread to that backend ticket as well, so we're covered.

I'm actually the one who filed that enhancement request long ago, so this issue is near to my heart. We've been exploring a few ideas but haven't come to a conclusion yet. This is actually one of those issues that sounds really clear cut, but is actually incredibly nuanced. As an example, modern public cloud providers behave in the same way that we do when deleting instances last I checked, so there is precendence for both the "immediate delete" approach as well as the "only delete powered off VM's" approach.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Explorer

Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for your reply. I also got a reply from Nutanix and the Support Team will actually file this case as a future enhancement feature.

Cheers!~

Jack