Product Ideas

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 node cluster - low cost robo

Wayfarer

2 node cluster - low cost robo

Bring the cost down by allowing the 2 nodes to direct connect w/10g. This would eliminate the added cost of a 10g network infrastructure for small/robo sites.

15 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Re: 2 node cluster - low cost robo

Hey Brian - Do me a favor, submit a support ticket on portal.nutanix.com with priority RFE, and ask them to associate this 2 node request to FEAT-1818.

That helps engineering and product management accurately track volume for feature requests.

That said, we're an open book, and I'll be honest, you'll be the first customer to actually formally request it. It's come up in conversations before, and has boiled down (in those conversations) to a different ask actually, which is as follows:

1 - License exposure - wanting ESXi in a ROBO, but not licensing 3 nodes

2 - cost of hardware, not cost of switching, as most ROBO environments do not need 10G performance

We've covered #1 by allowing two node ESXi + 1 node AHV clusters, that just launched in the last ~month or so

We're covering #2 with the SX line as well as a ton of ROBO sales bundles that get the cost down where it needs to be.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

Hi Jon,

I agree that only licencing 2 nodes w/ESX is a motivator, but also not licencing Nutanix is as well. Smiley Happy Reducing the hardware and licensing cost from 3 to 2 on all fronts is key. Also, while 10g is not required it does give a nice warm and fuzzy that the nodes will always be in sync, also it would be a much cleaner deployment if you only had 2 x 10g crossover cables plus 2 x 1g uplinks instead of 6 or 8x 1g uplinks.

Thanks for the reply and I'll submit a feature request. Smiley Happy

Moderator Moderator

ok, great, totally understood. I'm following that feature ticket internally, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

Jon, I have 2 1050 nodes that im removing from Cluster. I would like to create a 2 node cluster from these using the 1 Gb connections. Has this request been resolved. So far the answers i am getting from Nutanix support is that I must have a minumun of 3 nodes.

Moderator Moderator

@dbauer1 - This feature request has not been resolved yet. Current minimum is 3 nodes.

Please Kudos if useful!
Adventurer

I would be interested in such an offering.  If there was a 2-mode, 10gb offering we would have procured at least 2 of them last fall.  A 2-node 1gb would be plenty of bandwidth for branch locations which I would love to have to displace at least 1 existing VMware installations.

Moderator Moderator

hey @bennro01 - following up on some old threads. Not sure if you talked to dane and ben about this, but if not, feel free to drop me a line and we can chat about 2 node stuff

Please Kudos if useful!
Adventurer

I haven't but will.  

Wayfarer

I am still looking for a solution to using 2 nodes as a cluster. These are on our old 2 node 1050's. I am taking them off line next week and would like to reuse the as a stand alone cluster.