Product Ideas

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 node cluster - low cost robo

mld
Wayfarer

Re: 2 node cluster - low cost robo

In fact, we need of around 5TB of disk space for VM and NAS service.on many sites. Some of them need only of 1 TB. The NAS service could be AFS, if it support NFS/SMB on the same data, I just made a feature request. The workaround for this service is a Centos VM with samba, but one have to manage this OS.

As we have only 2 rooms/site, I don't know what to do with the third node of a nutanix cluster.

If the room with 2 nodes is lost, all the VM are lost. So the third node is useless in our case.

We want the data replicated on the 2 rooms.

So today, the only solution would be to have 2 nutanix clusters of 3 nodes.

- One cluster in room 1

- One cluster in room 2

Sync or async replication between them.

BTW, what is the public price of a SX1000 ?

MLD

I've seen them as low as 31K... Hard to justify buying two, why do you need the two boxes? one box could handle the workload- decrease your footprint.... I am assuming the two rooms are within the same building. Where are you located?

Highlighted
mld
Wayfarer

We need of 2 hypervisor for redundancy. If one room is down, one must be able to restart VM on the remaining room of the site.

The room can be in the same building if it's a store. Or a few kilometers away, at the other side of a plant.

Most of the sites are in Europe. But some of them are in Africa, Russia, India, Korea, Japan, US,

Thanks

ML

Moderator Moderator

Heyo! Sorry for me being so absent from the public forums in the last several months. I've been working on a handful of very large projects, which have taken up almost every minute of the day. That, plus having a 19 month old, keeps me on my toes.

RE One node clusters

We've had the ability to run one node clusters for backup only for a bit, but no VMs. We're going to add the ability to run VM's in 5.5, which is currently in the last stages of QA. Assuming that QA goes well and nothing gets clipped at the end, that feature will be out shortly. I will say, depending on use case, this make sense, and it may make no sense (think all of the standard draw backs of not having HA between servers, etc). 

As for CE, we should be able to use this in CE as well once the feature is complete 

RE Two node clusters

We announced 2 node, as well as one node, at .NEXT in DC (and have talked about the idea of doing it for quite some time). We took the time to do it right, and we're still working on the two node side. That said, since we're a public company and I can't make forward looking statements on the internet, I wont say specifically what release this is targeted for; however, I'll point you to our ROBO page (https://www.nutanix.com/solutions/remote-and-branch-office/), which we just recently updated with the following language:

Turnkey Virtual Infrastructure

Leverage an affordable hyperconverged solution that keeps remote applications, VMs and data protected while reducing space and power by up to 80%. Nutanix provides cluster configurations for all common ROBO environments: Micro (1 Node), Small / Medium (2 Node) and Large (3 Node). These configurations provide a consistent experience and are centrally managed via Nutanix Prism.

I'll let your imagination run wild as to what that means. Smiley Happy

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Moderator Moderator

As a teaser for a friday, I'll just leave this screenshot from the developers here: 

Screenshot 2017-11-10 16.04.33.png

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Guardian

Come on!!! Just release it already!!!! Bring on the goodness......

mld
Wayfarer

Hi all,

Thank you for you answer Jon.

I'm not full familiar with Nutanix technology. But according what you wrote, may I say :

- Thanks to the Turnkey Virtual Infrastructure news, one can say that now, one can run VM on a single appliance

- Today, one can replicate VM to another one node cluster, but this one can't run VM at this time. Just store it.

- Later, one can run VM on this backup one node cluster too.

- Today, in case of failure of the primary one node cluster, I suppose one have to start the backup VM more or less manually

- Later, the VM on the failed node will restart automatically

- Later, one need of a witness. I suppose it could be a VM running on the datacenter

If we buy vSphere Essential or Essentials+ license, one must use the provided vcenter license, not a central vcenter. Do prism allow to manage VM from a central point using many vcenters ?

What is the public price of a NX3000 series :  NX-3175-G5  appliance with 5 TB of disk space and 256 Go RAM for instance ? And with 2 TB of disk space ?

What's a pity that NX-1155-G5  (NX1000 series) is limited to 64 GB RAM.  IT's really low. Some of them need of 32 GB. But perhaps DELL OEM hardware is the way to workaround this.

Thanks

ML