Nutanix Xtract for VM

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xtract Migration Isusse

Highlighted
Journeyman

Xtract Migration Isusse

Hello Guys,

i've searched all related Threads concerning Migration Issuses, but did not find any problem which is similar to mine. We want to migrate some of our (non productive) Linux VMs from VMWare to Nutanix AHV to Test our new Nutanix Cluster.

Here some facts about our Enviroment:

Xtract Version: 1.0.24

Source Enviroment: VMWare Vcenter Version 6.5.0.10000 Build 7119157

Target Enviroment: Nutanix AHV Prism Central (Version 5.5.0.2)

Problem:

I'm facing the problem that a migration fails after Xtract is doing the Cutover. All Steps before are running without any Problems.

The Failure Tooltip shows a HTTP 500 Failure (Bad/incorrect request to 'XXX.XXX.XXX.XX.' error '500 Internal Server Error:{"message":"Error occurred while creating Disk Image""detailed_message":"com.nutanix.prism.exception.vmmanagement.AcropolisAdministrationException: com.nutanix.prism.exception.PrismCommandException: Error occurred while creating Disk Image\n\tat com.nutanix.prism.services.v2.acropolis.AcropolisImageAdministrationImpl.createImage(AcropolisImageAdministrationImpl.java:63)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)\n\tat org.springframework.security.access.intercept.aopalliance.MethodSecurityInterceptor.invoke(MethodSecurityInterceptor.java:64)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:207)\n\tat com.sun.proxy.$Proxy126.createImage(Unknown Source)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)\n\tat com.nutanix.prism.aop.RequestInterceptor.invoke(RequestInterceptor.java:162)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)\n\tat org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:207)\n\tat com.sun.proxy.$Proxy239.createImage(Unknown Source)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.performInvocation(AbstractInvoker.java:180)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:96)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.JAXRSInvoker.invoke(JAXRSInvoker.java:201)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.JAXRSInvoker.invoke(JAXRSInvoker.java:102)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor$1.run(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:58)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor.handleMessage(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:94)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:271)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:121)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.http.AbstractHTTPDestination.invoke(AbstractHTTPDestination.java:239)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invokeDestination(ServletController.java:218)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:163)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:137)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.CXFNonSpringServlet.invoke(CXFNonSpringServlet.java:158)\n\tat org.apache.cxf.transport.serv...}

Xtract-Failure.png

Anyone facing the same Issue or has got a solution for that problem?

Best Regards,

Marcus

6 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Xtract Migration Isusse

Short Update:

I've updated the Xtract Version to the latest available Version 1.1.0 -> The Problem still exists.

I've also changed our Enviroment a little bit -> The Target Enviroment is now the Prism Element (Cluster) and not the Prism Central DNS Name.

Regards,

Marcus

Trailblazer

I'd suggest opening a support ticket on this. We have had, and still have, some issues with Xtract. There is supposed to be a 5.5.0.4 coming out in a week or two that is supposed to fix some issues with xtract. 

Trailblazer

We had a similar situation. We noticed a couple of things as we also wait for the new version of Xtract. First, since we're on a new cluster, we tried unregistering the cluster from Prism Central, which seemed to work. But then more migrations failed. Believe it or not, some migrations that failed actually succeeded after rebooting the VM.

The unregistering; we're a brand new cluster, so nothing production on it. Before I would do that on a production environment, I would suggest engaging Nutanix support.

Journeyman

Update:

I've opened a Support Case for that Issue.

Today i've got an WebEx Session with one of the Supporters.

I will keep you informed.

Best Regards,

Marcus

Journeyman

Hi Guys,

a short Update:

After the Session with the Supporter, we find a "Solution".

We unpublished our Cluster from Prism Central and updated xtract to the lastest Version (1.1.1).

After the unpublishing and updateting we were able to do a sucessful migration.

After the sucessful migration i've re-added our Cluster to Prism Central and the migration fails once again (with the same Message)

Summary/Solution:

- You have to update to the latest xtract Version (at the moment 1.1.1)

- You have to unregister your Cluster from Prism Central

That "Solution" is not satisfactory at all, but at the moment the only solution the Supporter can provide.

The Support said that this Bug is fixed in a future Release of Prism Central, but could not tell us in which release.

Best Regards,

Marcus

Trailblazer

That's pretty much the same thing we were told as a workaround. We were told that there would be an update pretty soon, I think the engineer said in a couple of weeks.