Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What licenses do i need for Commvault Nutanix?

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Adventurer

What licenses do i need for Commvault Nutanix?

See images below

- Site 1 VMs  should be backed up at NX Site 1 Cluster and NX Site 2 Cluster

- Site 2 VMs  should be backed up at NX Site 2 Cluster and NX Site 1 Cluster

- Delta changes will only pass through MPLS

- End users must be able to do Self Service File Recovery integrated with Active Directory

- Is commvault for Nutanix limited to Nutanix hosted VMs, how to add commvault licenses outside the Nutanix cluster?

- Is there a master media server to handle the two sites?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nutanix Employee

Re: What licenses do i need for Commvault Nutanix?

As of today Commvault is the only backup provider that can backup AHV without an agent. When the API are fully supported you'll get changed region tracking from the API. 1 great part is that you don't have the overhead of collapsing snapshots like you would on ESXi.

Today Commvault reads the entire vdisk and uses md5 hash to do incrementals. Soon they will just read the diffs between snapshots.   

3 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Hi

Nutanix self service restore and Commvault single item restore are different. SSR from Nutanix will work Nutanix based snapshots. You just need to install the feature by loading the Nutanix Guest tools and selecting SSR. You could get Commvault to index your backups but I don't think that would give you much for self service support.

For "commvault for Nutanix " do you mean AHV? Commvault can backup  AHV/ESXi/Hyper-V VM's. If your backing up AHV VMs, you need to have a proxy running on the cluster. Either a VM based license and Storage based licesne should have you covered. I would follow up with a commvault rep. 

You could have a 1 media server handling both sites. 

Does that help? Let me know if not.

Adventurer

Hey thanks for the advise.

I realised self service recovery of acropolis is only necessary..

But i still dont understand the value of commvault vs installing other backup software for granular recovery.

I heard commvault supports api for acropolis snaps but so what? Nutanix snap is fast enough i think
Nutanix Employee

As of today Commvault is the only backup provider that can backup AHV without an agent. When the API are fully supported you'll get changed region tracking from the API. 1 great part is that you don't have the overhead of collapsing snapshots like you would on ESXi.

Today Commvault reads the entire vdisk and uses md5 hash to do incrementals. Soon they will just read the diffs between snapshots.