Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMotion feature re-enabling on original vmkernel

Highlighted
Wayfarer

VMotion feature re-enabling on original vmkernel

Hello all,

I'm running into an issue intermittently where vMotion's fail between my Nutanix hosts.  I have two vmkernels on each of our nodes, one for management and one for vMotion (separate VLANs for each).  What I've seen is that after disabling vMotion on the original vmkernel, after an indeterminate amount of time, the option re-enables.  I'm not sure if the trigger is a reboot of the ESXi host during patching, but this has happened multiple times so I can confirm it's not an issue of missing it during initial configuration.  Has anyone else ran into this?

James

Tags (2)
22 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Re: VMotion feature re-enabling on original vmkernel

Thats odd. Have you opened a ticket with Nutanix support yet?

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

I haven't yet.  Since it happens so erratically I didn't think I could give support good data on when it occurs or which specific nodes it happens on.  I have pending patch installs for ESXi 6 and Acropolis (to go to 4.6.1 from 4.6.0.2), so I'll test out vMotions again after those updates are complete and see if either of those operations can elicit the behavior.

James

Explorer

We have seen this regularly too. Did you find a fix?

We're using ESXi 6.0 U2

Moderator Moderator

hey @TM-Nut - I haven't seen this anywhere else myself. Please open a support ticket if this keeps happening with you.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Pathfinder

Seeing same issue on a brand new install. Default Nutanix ESXi puts vmotion on management. Create a completely separate VMK and enable vmotion on it, disabling on management - come back the next day and it's back to original. Now one question i have - is anyone running a VMotion from the WEB GUI for this ? Latest 6.0 web gui allows you to vmotion without some of the pre-req's - like shared storage. Seems more likely VMware "enhanced feature" Haven't gone to support yet.
Moderator Moderator

I've personally done vMotion from the web GUI more times than I can count, works great. Shared Nothing vMotion is a life saver for migrations, makes the "plumbing" between old environment and nutanix simple.

Definitely file a support ticket with us when you can so we can dig into this vMotion enablement issue

Please Kudos if useful!
Explorer

does appear to be something specific to Nutanix, as I can't find any reports of such behaviour using anything else other than Nutanix. VMWare have never heard of it either.

Moderator Moderator

I haven't heard of this behavior anywhere, nutanix or otherwise. I flipped through our bug database quickly this morning, and haven't seen any similar reports at the engineering level yet either.

Next time this happens, please get support engaged and we can look into it.

Please Kudos if useful!
Squire

I see that this is an old post but was wondering if there are any updates. i have a new installation of Nutanix with ESXi 6 U2 and am seeing the same issue