Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Software through Nutanix Prism Central

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Adventurer

Upgrade Software through Nutanix Prism Central

Hi all,

I have read in a few other tech forums that you can upgrade the Hypervisor, Firmware and Tools through the Nutanix Prism Central without any downtime to the running VMs. Can someone please confirm whether this is true, is there any risk in case the installations fails, will it revert to the existing running version or become corrupted?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chevalier

Re: Upgrade Software through Nutanix Prism Central

Prism Element is a service running on your CVM. When nodes deployed as cluster you will access Prism Element to manage the cluster (Native)

Prism Central is VM running either on Nutanix or other host to manage multiple Nutanix cluster (you need to deploy it first and joining you Prism Element to Prism Central)

4 REPLIES
Chevalier

@it-nugget you can not upgrade Hypervisor, AOS, Tools via Prism Central but Prism Element

once you Prism Element register to Prism Central you can choose which cluster need to be upgraded 

Adventurer

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Apparently there seems to be some confusion from my side, apologies, any chance you could briefly explain to me what is the difference between Nutanix Prism Central and Nutanix Prism Element? Are those native services running be default on each Nutanix host or needed to be downloaded and installed somehow?

Chevalier

Prism Element is a service running on your CVM. When nodes deployed as cluster you will access Prism Element to manage the cluster (Native)

Prism Central is VM running either on Nutanix or other host to manage multiple Nutanix cluster (you need to deploy it first and joining you Prism Element to Prism Central)

Adventurer

Hi,

Thanks again.

This is very clear now.