Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server 2012 Issues on my new Block

SOLVED Go to solution
Wayfarer

Server 2012 Issues on my new Block

My cluster was just installed and configured this week (1 block with 3 Nodes running AHV).  I have 1 VM in production (Server 2016) that runs great and I haven't had any problems with.

I wanted to try some P2V processes this week and took my Routing and Remote Access server (Running Server 2012 R2) and converted it to a VMDK with the help of VMWare Converter.  It made a VMDK with no problems and I mounted it to a VM in Prism and booted it right up.  It seemed to work great but I noticed little issues such as my RRAS services would hang up or not start at all, and then when I tried to connect to the Console the CAD (control alt delete) button wouldn't work (pressing it did nothing in the console window).  I chalked this up to the fact that I did a P2V and maybe it was to blame.

So I decided to start fresh... Created a brand new VM and installed Server 2012 on it.  Added to my domain, installed the RRAS services and rebooted.  Suddenly I'm seeing the same problem (remember this is a brand new VM built fresh, not a P2V image)...  When the VM boots up and I try to RDP into it via IP address, the RDP client just closes.  When I try to console into it the CAD button doesn't work.  SAME issue, different VM.  The only common denominator is the fact I"m using Windows Server 2012.

WOW.. as I was typing this and looking at the console, the CAD input finally caught up. There was about a 5 minute delay between pressing the CAD button and the console window catching up.  Then I could log in finally.  Looking at my services they still aren't starting.  I can try to Start my RRAS services and it just sits there and never starts properly.

What could be causing this?  The only thing I can really thing of is the NIC drivers loaded from VirtOS... but I honestly have no clue.  It's happened twice now, on two separate images (one that was created using P2V, and one that was a freshly installed image).  Very troublesome and worrysome on my brand new cluster.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Wayfarer

Re: Server 2012 Issues on my new Block

Found a solution to this.  Apparently the VirtOS NIC drivers (I was using 1.1.1) were preventing the service from starting.  No idea why.   I installed the latest Fedora VirtIO NetKVM from 0.1.141 and it resolved my issue immediately.

3 REPLIES
Wayfarer

I just noticed a PCI Device without drivers in Device manager.  I updated drivers from VirtOS to conclude this was the balloon device (not sure what that is).   Not sure if it's related or not, but I wanted to add to thread just in case.

Wayfarer

Sorry to bombard this forum.  But I think it's related to the Remote Access Management Service being delayed in starting.   I'm looking into it now.

Highlighted
Wayfarer

Found a solution to this.  Apparently the VirtOS NIC drivers (I was using 1.1.1) were preventing the service from starting.  No idea why.   I installed the latest Fedora VirtIO NetKVM from 0.1.141 and it resolved my issue immediately.