Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NutanixManagementShare ideal size

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Wayfarer

NutanixManagementShare ideal size

After installing from scratch on  a new block we now have a NutanixManagementShare container (we previously only had a test block from Nutanix that didn't have this even after 5.1.1.3 upgrade) that is chewing up half the storage.

What is the ideal size for this container as I understand it's needed for VM and binary management?

Or can I delete or reduce the size of this container and what would be the ideal size, I can't believe it needs 14 TB Smiley Wink

cheers Peter 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Outrider

Re: NutanixManagementShare ideal size

Hi,

In the storage view, he first column is "FREE (Logical)" this displays available space for the container,  the second column "USED" is space used by the container, in your case, the "NutanixManagementShare" is 0. and the third column is "MAX CAPACITY", which generally displays the available capacity for the container.

If you noticed your default and NutanixManagementShare are showing same "Free (Logical)" value, to understand in another way, the container is just representation of storage pool to the hypervisor and it is always thin provisioned, when the container is created you never specify the size of container, unlike traditional where you create volume and specify the size of volume/LUN. 

The below link might help you more..

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v51:wc-storage-dashb...

Hope that clarifies your concerns.

F>P

3 REPLIES
Outrider

Hi, pvanmaale,

The "Nutanix Management Share"  is used for AFS and SSP and is not recommended to delete even if not intended to use these features. I will advise to open a support ticket and let SRE have a look at the storage utilization. 

Nutanix container are unlike traditional storage volume/LUN, they are thin provisioned and no size is defined for them as they are only representational. If you can share a screenshot will be very helpful.

F>P

Wayfarer

Thanks Farhan,

so since we're not intending to use those features I can reduce the size then? Yeah I get they are only representational until they begin to be actually utilized etc. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 14.18.22.png

Outrider

Hi,

In the storage view, he first column is "FREE (Logical)" this displays available space for the container,  the second column "USED" is space used by the container, in your case, the "NutanixManagementShare" is 0. and the third column is "MAX CAPACITY", which generally displays the available capacity for the container.

If you noticed your default and NutanixManagementShare are showing same "Free (Logical)" value, to understand in another way, the container is just representation of storage pool to the hypervisor and it is always thin provisioned, when the container is created you never specify the size of container, unlike traditional where you create volume and specify the size of volume/LUN. 

The below link might help you more..

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v51:wc-storage-dashb...

Hope that clarifies your concerns.

F>P