Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HyperV 2012 R2 Migration to AHV

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
CTI
Trailblazer

HyperV 2012 R2 Migration to AHV

Hi,

We have a Windows 2012R2 HyperV host with about 8 Windows 2008R2 VMs.

These VMs are Gen1 using .vhdx as the file system.

I'm currently running Ntnx 4.7.4 and was wondering the following:

1. Does the image service import .vhdx files  or do I need to use qemu-image ?
  2. If I use something like Starwind V2V converter, it supports QCOW2 and RAW, is there a preferred Ntnx format ?  (Image inserted below)
  3. Does the SMB version on the CVM have unique specifications ?  I was trying to use Storagecraft Shadowprotect Recovery options (Linux based) but it would see the UNC?

Thanks in Advance,

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CTI
Trailblazer

Re: HyperV 2012 R2 Migration to AHV

Thanks for checking for me...

FYI- the only issue using raw is that the destination for the RAW file has to have enough space to to match the partition size.  So a 1.5 TB Windows partition (with 20% used)  will still need 1.5 TB.

If QCOW2/vmdk or some other format that will only copy only actual used space would be helpful.

I'm hoping to use the StarWind converter to get the images onto a Synolgy NAS with and SSD inside to help things move along.....

So I would be going HyperV-->Synology NAS-->AHV

G

11 REPLIES
Hero

Thanks for the post @CTI

Anything you can share here @artur_ka 

Tags (4)
Nutanix Employee

Hi

1. Let me check if VHDX is supported by image services

2. Nutanix supports RAW format

3. We support SMB3, which means you have to be on Windows 2012R2 or Windows 8.1 or newer to access share on Nutanix. Not sute if Windows 2008R2 supports SMB3 or not

NOTE: do not forget add client system into container whitelist, other wise you will not be abble to access share from clinet server

Artur Krzywdzinski
blog: www.vmwaremine.com
twitter: @artur_ka
Nutanix Employee

so, in current AOS release we do not support VHDX

Below, list of format supported by image services

raw, vhd, vmdk, vdi, iso, qcow2

Artur Krzywdzinski
blog: www.vmwaremine.com
twitter: @artur_ka
CTI
Trailblazer

Thanks for checking for me...

FYI- the only issue using raw is that the destination for the RAW file has to have enough space to to match the partition size.  So a 1.5 TB Windows partition (with 20% used)  will still need 1.5 TB.

If QCOW2/vmdk or some other format that will only copy only actual used space would be helpful.

I'm hoping to use the StarWind converter to get the images onto a Synolgy NAS with and SSD inside to help things move along.....

So I would be going HyperV-->Synology NAS-->AHV

G

Moderator Moderator

Following up here @CTI - this looks like its still outstanding. I did file a documentation update request to show that we support VHDX's in image service, but I'm positive that we have since ~4.1.3 or so.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
CTI
Trailblazer

Jon,

Thanks for the follow up.  I will try it in the next few weeks.

G

Moderator Moderator

Ok great @CTI - if you run into anything else, just start a brand new thread and we'll track from there. 

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
CTI
Trailblazer

Hi,

Just wanted to confirm that I was able to upload a vhdx via the image service.  From there I was able to create the VMs.

Thanks,

G

Explorer

Traiblazer,

Did you have to do anything special to the image after upload?  I tried this last night and the VM wouldn't boot.

Thanks.

-Andres