Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install and use nCLI from Prism download?

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Wayfarer

How to install and use nCLI from Prism download?

Hello folks,

I am new to Nutanix and installed the Community Edition from ce-2016.10.12-stable.img.

I just downloaded the nCLI zip file from my Prism page to Windows 7 x64 laptop, unzipped to downloads folder, and edited my environment variable for Path following the Readme instruction.

ncli1.jpg

Edited Path variable.

path.jpg

However, I get an error when typing ncli help command.  Trying to get started.  Any suggestions?

ncli2.jpg

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: How to install and use nCLI from Prism download?

I can count on one hand the number of production customers using "outside the cluster" NCLI on a daily basis, so to say its a rarity is about as true as it gets.

Best to learn NCLI from SSH to the CVM, which is how the vast majority of folks use it. That, and we're working on coding up a full replacement to NCLI, which will merge NCLI's functionality with ACLI's codebase, and be wired up to the "v3" API's, which are coming in AOS 5.0

Long handed way of saying NCLI's days are numbered, and there are about 3 tasks you actually need NCLI to do anyhow

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
5 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

I see you've got a powershell post open as well.

What are you trying to accomplish (besides just get NCLI working from outside of the cluster)? Asking as there may be different ways to accomplish such tasks that would be more optimal, so I want to make sure we respond appropriately

Jon

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

Thank you! 

I am just trying to get it functional in general to begin learning how to use it and execute commands. 

Also, and mainly for when needing to answer customer questions on how to get it functional.

Moderator Moderator

I can count on one hand the number of production customers using "outside the cluster" NCLI on a daily basis, so to say its a rarity is about as true as it gets.

Best to learn NCLI from SSH to the CVM, which is how the vast majority of folks use it. That, and we're working on coding up a full replacement to NCLI, which will merge NCLI's functionality with ACLI's codebase, and be wired up to the "v3" API's, which are coming in AOS 5.0

Long handed way of saying NCLI's days are numbered, and there are about 3 tasks you actually need NCLI to do anyhow

Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

Ok, Thanks Jon!

Wayfarer

I wanted to use ncli out side of the cluster to create SSL Certificate request files.  I surpose I will have to dig into methods from power shell to call SSH...