Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host migration from VMWare - Linux CentOS7/Ubuntu/Debian Newer Kernels

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Trailblazer

Host migration from VMWare - Linux CentOS7/Ubuntu/Debian Newer Kernels

Hi

I have encountered some issues when moving VMWare Linux hosts on newer kernels to AHV.

When moved they are unable to boot as expected, exhibiting hdd not found errors and fail out to a basic recovery kernel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: Host migration from VMWare - Linux CentOS7/Ubuntu/Debian Newer Kernels

If you're experiencing issues with production deployments, please file a support ticket. If you are a NX or SX customer, you can file them on portal.nutanix.com. If XC or HX, you can file with your respective OEM partner.

As a general statement, there could be a few things going on here, especially with the new kernels on the Ubuntu side (like 16.04). We've fixed several of these compatibility issues in newer AHV and AOS releases. 

Also, if you are using UEFI boot instead of BIOS on VMW, that will also cause similar issues, and requires a simple flag in ACLI to be set to switch the AHV side to UEFI instead of BIOS.

Those are the first two things that come to mind, but support can help you chase down the absolute truth

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
6 REPLIES
Adventurer

Hello,

Please see the site below:

http://vmwaremine.com/2015/09/18/migrate-rhel-6-5-from-esxi-to-nutanix-ahv/#sthash.Ng1ZG16N.dpbs

Usually works for most Linux OS's. Also try a IDE disk and not SCSI.
Moderator Moderator

If you're experiencing issues with production deployments, please file a support ticket. If you are a NX or SX customer, you can file them on portal.nutanix.com. If XC or HX, you can file with your respective OEM partner.

As a general statement, there could be a few things going on here, especially with the new kernels on the Ubuntu side (like 16.04). We've fixed several of these compatibility issues in newer AHV and AOS releases. 

Also, if you are using UEFI boot instead of BIOS on VMW, that will also cause similar issues, and requires a simple flag in ACLI to be set to switch the AHV side to UEFI instead of BIOS.

Those are the first two things that come to mind, but support can help you chase down the absolute truth

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

Ref: Host migration from VMWare - Linux CentOS7/Ubuntu/Debian Newer Kernels

I have resolved some of the issues I have seen - hdd size required was larger than vmware setting in at least one instance - adding 1-2gb more produced a bootable system.

Other verions of CentOS 7 would boot fine on the older kernel - luckily I had 4 or 5 choices on the system and it initially booted from the original recovery kernel which led to this solution.

Any input seen was useful

Moderator Moderator

Re: Ref: Host migration from VMWare - Linux CentOS7/Ubuntu/Debian Newer Kernels

Looks like you are a Dell XC customer.

Please file a support ticket with Dell and ask them to escalate it to Nutanix, so we can dig into this with you.

Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

Ref: Host migration from VMWare - Linux CentOS7/Ubuntu/Debian Newer Kernels

Hello

There should be no need to escalate to Dell atm. With suggestions given and what i already found by trial and testing has enabled the migration of the existing vmware hosts to the clusters

Pathfinder

I have some issues with ubuntu 12.04.05 y 12.04.03 LTS both server. During boot I have an error of kernel panic with exit 0x0000000b (in both). We are migrating from ESXi to AHV. All prerequisites are compliant. Other Linux VMs with 14.04 LTS migrated fine.