Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell XC 6320 - How to reimage the CVM ?

SOLVED Go to solution
Chevalier

Re: Dell XC 6320 - How to reimage the CVM ?

@jaffer please refer to http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20443403

both RASR and RASRUSB was mentioned

Trailblazer

@bezeddinThe model which I am using is XC6320-6 which is different from rest of the Dell XC models. In this model I am not able to see the SD card.

Please find the screenshot.

DELL - XC6320_Boot_Options.JPG

PS: I am following the doc "Rapid Appliance Self Recovery (RASR) for Dell EMC XC Series Web-Scale Hyperconverged Appliance – Windows 2012 R2
For the Dell EMC XC Series XC430-4, XC630-10, XC630-10AF, XC730xd-12, XC730xd-24, XC730xd-12c, XC730-16G, XC6320-6 and XC6320-6AF
Dell EMC Engineering
December 2016"

Cheers,
Jaffer
Chevalier

@jaffer boot to embedded disk storage device and see the output 

Trailblazer

@bezeddinI did that and lost my CVM. After I found that the document says the below Smiley Sad.

"WARNING: Do not boot to the Embedded Disk Storage Device on XC6320 nodes. This can lead to erasing the operating system and the Nutanix CVM. For recovery on XC6320 refer to Using RASR for Dell EMC XC Series for XC6320."

Now I am not able to launch RASR, I think I have lost the recovery partition. One strange, still I am able to see my ESXi and Broken CVM which keeps rebooting.

There is nowhere I can see the document to launch RASR without USB or do re-imaging (Factory reset). Even for factory reset I need RASR.

Cheers,
Jaffer
Chevalier

@jaffer use your idrac and mount phoenix iso. please boot through it. have your contact support or vendor to fix it?
Trailblazer

@bezeddinThanks. Will try and let you know.

Cheers,
Jaffer
Trailblazer

@bezeddinHi,

Finally we got the Nutanix cluster up and running.

We did the following.

1. Re-imaged XC nodes via Phoenix.iso

2. Once we re-imaged the nodes were available to join the cluster

3. We used the foundation applet to discover the nodes and installed the cluster

Now I got a question reg upgrade. We installed the NOS version 4.7.5.2 and would like to upgrade to 5.0.2.  Can you point us in the right direction for this version?

Cheers,
Jaffer
Chevalier

Highlighted
Guardian

Got to the settings wheel in Prism and click on Upgrade Software.  In the available compatible versions section choose 5.0.2 and download.  After it's downloaded, go back to the same place and run the pre-upgrade check.  If that finishes successfully, click on upgrade, go grab a drink, and watch the running task (if you want).  

You should loose connectivity to Prism or get a timeout at least once when the CVM that you are watching through reboots.  As long as you are connecting through the cluster ip address, refresh the page and it should come back up.  The whole process on 4 nodes or less should take between 15-30 minutes.

Enjoy.

Trailblazer

Thank you @patrbng & @bezeddin for your valuable informations. 

Cheers,
Jaffer