Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert parts of cluster from ESX to AHV

SOLVED Go to solution
Adventurer

Convert parts of cluster from ESX to AHV

Hi all,

I have a 12 node Dell XC cluster running ESX. I am looking to convert 3 of the nodes (more later) to AHV. What is the best way to go about this?

After I remove the 3 said nodes from the existing Nutanix ESX cluster, what will next step be? Do i use Phoenix, Foundation or something else to create the new AHV cluster?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Trailblazer

Re: Convert parts of cluster from ESX to AHV

Hi

You can remove the nodes from your current cluster using prism, once they are out as long as you are on version 4.7 or above I think, the local CVM's will have foundation running (genesis status)

If you are keeping the same IP settings as your current cluster, connect to one of the cvm's IP addresses via http://cvm_ip:8000 you will then hit the foundation page and should see all the free nodes, you can then deploy and re-image as AHV

Dont forget to sort the licenses out on the current cluster to free up 3 licenses for your new cluster

Cheers J

If

8 REPLIES
Trailblazer

Hi

You can remove the nodes from your current cluster using prism, once they are out as long as you are on version 4.7 or above I think, the local CVM's will have foundation running (genesis status)

If you are keeping the same IP settings as your current cluster, connect to one of the cvm's IP addresses via http://cvm_ip:8000 you will then hit the foundation page and should see all the free nodes, you can then deploy and re-image as AHV

Dont forget to sort the licenses out on the current cluster to free up 3 licenses for your new cluster

Cheers J

If

Adventurer

@jasonc Thank you. Just what I needed. Will give it a shot soon!

Trailblazer

No problem, good luck..

Also to clarify "remove nodes using prism so the nodes get correctly removed from the cluster" 

I am sure you knew this already but wanted to clarify...

Cheers

Trailblazer

If your running any windows servers on your newly converted AHV clusters, you will need to convert any vm's that are UEFI to BIOS startup and convert any disks from IDE to SCSI.

You will also need to install the Nutanix VirtIO drivers into your vm's

Tags (5)
Trailblazer

@jtempleton

No VM's will be on the cluster if you remove nodes from an existing cluster

The new cluster will be completely free of any existing data, yes new Windows servers will require virtio when building but no conversion will be required..

If you want to move across to the new AHV you can install NGT tools and create a PD to migrate - or use the newly release xtract tool!! yay

Highlighted
Trailblazer

I should have mentioned that we are replicating, using data protection between a production ESXi cluster and a DR Acropolis Cluster, which is where the disk conversion and Bios conversion are required for this to work.

Tags (3)
Adventurer

About the license thing, I find it a bit confusing. What's the correct procedure here?

- Remove 3 nodes from ESX cluster using prism

- Generate new license file for ESX cluster with 9 licenses

- Create new AHV cluster by going to cvmip:8000 on removed host

- Generate new 3-server license for this new cluster

- Profit

And with each server added to the AHV cluster - repeat above?

Cheers

Trailblazer

Correct, you go through the reclaim node license proceedure to reclaim those licenses, then they will be free in the portal for you to use on your 3 node cluster you create

You can do this after you have everything setup, Nutanix support are very good helping out if you have any licensing issues...