Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the vlan on a nutanix node before using it to expand a cluster

SOLVED Go to solution

Changing the vlan on a nutanix node before using it to expand a cluster

Hi Guys and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but i cant find it:

My customer has an existing nutanix cluster running 5.0.2, using vlans for the management networking on the esx nodes.

The brand new node is connected to switchport with the relevant vlan as tagged, how do i change the vlan on the new node before deployment so that it can be seen by the prism central? This is a brand new undeployed node, fresh from the box. I just need to change the vlan it listens on.

Regards

Martin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nutanix Employee

Re: Changing the vlan on a nutanix node before using it to expand a cluster

@MartinKnudsen On a brand new unconfigured node running AHV, you can set the vlan tag using the network crash cart available in the root user's home folder. To access the crash cart login to the AHV host via IPMI using the default login details and access the crash cart from the home folder by running the following command,

nutanix-network-crashcart/network_configuration

You will see a screen like below, Here you can choose your uplinks, set IP address for CVM, hypervisor and set the vlan tags. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 19.42.43.png

Once this is done you can use the Expand Cluster option from Prism to add the new node by following the procedure detailed below,

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v51:wc-cluster-expan...

4 REPLIES
Vanguard

Hi Martin,

The best option is to make the ports connected to new nodes as access with VLAN of existing nodes host/cvm vlan. Then through prism you will be able to detect and image and expand the cluster. If that's not possible u have to image the nodes manually with same esxi and aos version and set esxi management / cvm portgroup required vlan manually so it can be detected through prism while skipping imaging. 

Farhan Parkar

Nutanix Employee

@MartinKnudsen On a brand new unconfigured node running AHV, you can set the vlan tag using the network crash cart available in the root user's home folder. To access the crash cart login to the AHV host via IPMI using the default login details and access the crash cart from the home folder by running the following command,

nutanix-network-crashcart/network_configuration

You will see a screen like below, Here you can choose your uplinks, set IP address for CVM, hypervisor and set the vlan tags. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 19.42.43.png

Once this is done you can use the Expand Cluster option from Prism to add the new node by following the procedure detailed below,

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v51:wc-cluster-expan...

Pathfinder

Chandru - I am trying to remember how to get to this - I am logged into the CVM as nutanix, but can't find that command or directory -  do I need to sudo su or cd to a specific directory?

Nutanix Employee

@WillScott This option is available in AHV not in CVM. Login to the AHV host and it should be in the home folder of root