Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Hypervisor from Hyper-V to ESXi

SOLVED Go to solution
Journeyman

Change Hypervisor from Hyper-V to ESXi

Hi Guys,

I just started a role with this company and they just role out Nutanix with 3 block and have Hyper-V as the Hypervisor. There are currently around 20 VMs in productions. Is there a way to change the Hypervisor from Hyper-V to VMware in Nutanix? e.g.: split the cluster to 2 and re install one blcok to ESXi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Outrider

Re: Change Hypervisor from Hyper-V to ESXi

HI Adam,

No, you need minimum three nodes to create a cluster. (as of now), the best option will be as I said early.

F>P

5 REPLIES
Outrider

Hi, Adan,

Currently, I don't see any option to convert Hyper-V cluster to any unless you evacuate the VMs to another hyper-v cluster or host, reimage Nutanix Block with the desired hypervisor (ESXi) and convert VMs using vCenter converter.

F>P

Journeyman

Thanks for the fast reply. As we only have 3 blocks in Nutanix, is it possible to convert one of the block?

Outrider

HI Adam,

No, you need minimum three nodes to create a cluster. (as of now), the best option will be as I said early.

F>P

Adventurer

You could try to setup a CE move all the hyperv VMs to here and change your current cluster to ESXi.

Or if you have the time export all the HyperV VMs to an external storage, and change your current cluster to ESXi.

As the other one said, you always need 3 nodes in a cluster. CE can do it with 1 node.

I have done it in the past over a weekend. critical ones running on CE and exported the VMs for later import. changed the cluster to AHV.

Journeyman

Is there any article of how to rebuild your cluster from Hyper-V to ESXi?