Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a cluster support 40% SSD RAID 1 and 60% HDD?

Journeyman

Can a cluster support 40% SSD RAID 1 and 60% HDD?

We have a requirement where the customer has requested 5 nodes of Nutanix, having 20TB usable SSD in RAID 1 and 30TB HDD (i.e. in this ratio 40:60). The cluster will have RF3. Unfortunately this spec cannot be configured with NX and other appliances.

My question is whether it will work on a normal rack server (that supports large SSD and Xeon Scalable processors) e.g. Dell, Lenovo... where we put storage as follows: 3.84TB SSD x8 + 2TB HDD x12. According to http://designbrewz.com/ this will allow to meet the above space requirement.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a workable solution?

3 REPLIES
Outrider

Re: Can a cluster support 40% SSD RAID 1 and 60% HDD?

Hi Ashvin,

Firstly Nutanix does not have RAID 1 concept at all, the data is protected by RF3, u can learn more about that in nu.school or Nutanix Bible, secondly what kind of workload is customer going to run which requires 40:60 ratio of ssd:hdd, is it single workload or it is aggregation for multiple workload. based on that a proper sizing can be done to avoid any over-sell or under-sell.

Better you can contact your local Nutanix SE for help, if not possible we are here u help to always.

One of the approaches will be  AFA and hybrid nodes in the single cluster but need to understand the workload first.

F.P

Journeyman

The customer is adamant on this ratio or AFA. The load is web apps and databases on a 200 core 5-node cluster. Nutanix SE suggested AFA (whom I contacted after opening this thread).

But still, I want to understand if Nutanix appliances with Dell, Lenovo... can be modified. If we swap a lower capacity SSD for a larger one before configuring the cluster, will it work?

Outrider

It's better to be consulted by the Nutanix SE to verify the result of your required specs