Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding more disks

Trailblazer

Adding more disks

Hi,

We have 2 more disks slots free in each of our 3 nodes. If we fill in all the disks by adding 2 more SSDs do we need anything license wise for the nutanix to see or use the drive?

Also if space wasn't an issue , would you rather add 2 more Sata SSDs or 2 more Sata HDDs per node. 

Thanks,

Alex

11 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Re: Adding more disks

If space isn't an issue, and cost isn't too much of an issue, adding SSD's are always nice.

Looks like you guys are a Dell customer? if so, just reach out to your Dell account team and they'll set you up with the right SSD's, etc

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

Yes we are and have already been disappointed more than once! I am wondering if going Super Micro isn't the best solution compared to Dell XC Series!

Adding $3K of Disks for $6K of license fees is just ridiculous. I don't even understand why Nutanix would be charging a license for the disks for warranty support when the hardware replacement is done through Dell.

Every spare parts ordered through Dell are generally covered under the Servers warranty but for the XC I am told " Nutanix support is calculated dependant on the Discs & DIMM " so I end up getting charged twice!

Moderator Moderator

@alexxdavid - sorry for the slow reply, this came in after I went to sleep last night.

Sorry to hear about your current experience with Dell, I'm happy to lend an ear to see if we can turn that around, feel free to reach out any time to jon at nutanix dot com. Happy to keep the conversation going there.

That said, I see what you are saying, and the Dell model is simply a different way of licensing the product. With Dell, the smaller the configuration is, the smaller the price is, both for Dell gear, and the Nutanix licensing/support/etc. As the configurations go up, both hardware and associated licensing go up at the same time.

To be clear, the uplift on components isn't specifically for support, its simply how the licensing model with Dell was constructed.

On the other hand, the direct product (Nutanix NX) isn't licensed that way, so you just buy the appliance, license, and support, and thats pretty much that. Again, just two different ways of doing roughly the same thing.

Have you talked to your Dell and/or Nutanix account teams about this already?

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trendsetter

@Jon hello Jon,

I think SMC,DELL,Lenovo is the same licensing model from  my previous cognition.

besides smc and dell, how about Levovo licensing model ?

and node  disk must be purchased by specific rule ? i.g for NX3060, I should buy 2*SSD and 4*HDD ?

can I buy the disk in free manner ?  1ssd+4ssd, 2ssd+2hdd, 4ssd+2hdd ,etc. 

Thanks.

Xiaowei | Nutanix-NPP | NetApp-NCDA NCIE |@jolinvsshane
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

The licensing models WRT Starter, Pro, Ultimate are the same, but the way they are sold are not the same.

Disk configurations are dependent on models

3060 must be 2x SSD + 4 HDD, or all Flash

Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

My customer's actually in a similar boat where they bought Dell servers with empty drive bays. They have actually recently purchased drives (SSD) to fill those bays. Is the process of adding them into the solution's storage (Storage Pool, Container, etc.) as simple as adding the drives to the chassis 'hot' or is there a process required to do so?

I tried searching the knowledge base, but couldn't come up with anything.

Any help/guidance you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Moderator Moderator

Have you checked out this doc?

https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Hardware_Admin_Ref-AOS_v4_7:har_drive_add_t....

Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

@Jon:

I had seen that document, at one point or another, but I wasn't certain if it made a difference that I was running the Dell hardware platform (for the time being), not Nutanix's?

Moderator Moderator

Its pretty much the same steps, as even though its different hardware, we're pretty perscriptive of about things like HBA's and such, so many of those components are same or similar.

Anyhow, I'd be remiss if I didn't say ... for the sake of CYA, open up a ticket with Dell to triple check

Please Kudos if useful!