Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABS and Powerpath

Adventurer

ABS and Powerpath

Hi is ABS included automatically for purchase of NX-8235-G5 ?

Currently in our enviornment, we are using powerpath for EMC storage and during the migration, will Nutanix support Powerpath ? 

9 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Re: ABS and Powerpath

I'm pretty sure this has not been qualified but I will ask internally.  What are the operating systems where powerpath would be used?  Are you planning on using powerpath migration enabler host copy?

Thanks,

Mike

Adventurer

We are using Power Path 5.8 which is on the virtual appliance (Linux). 

For powerpath migration enabler host copy, we haven't plan on using this but if it helps we can explore this option.

Nutanix Employee

sorry I missed the first part of your question.  If you are connecting an external (non-nutanix) server to use ABS we require pro or ultimate licensing.  If it's a VM running on Nutanix than it's included.   Can you be more specific with the Linux version you plan on using please?

Thanks,

Mike

Guardian

Is the ABS internal statement documented somewhere?  I was told by a couple other Nutanix sources that any use of ABS required either pro or ulitmate.  So was my customer.  

Highlighted
Nutanix Employee

"ABS is available in the Acropolis Starter, Pro, and Ultimate editions. Pro or Ultimate are required when using ABS to connect to a nonNutanix cluster."

http://go.nutanix.com/rs/031-GVQ-112/images/nutanix-acropolis-block-services.pdf 

Adventurer

Thanks for the answer on the 1st question.

The current powerpath server is SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (64 bit). Sorry about the Powerpath version, I see the version as 1.2.002.118

Nutanix Employee

I mentioned I would double check internally and like I mentioned we have not qualified powerpath so we must say it is not supported at this time.  

A couple things to keep in mind about ABS.  Storage path high availability is managed with iSCSI redirection.  This means any Nutanix layer maintenance or failure will have redundancy and automatic failover without MPIO or Powerpath.  The reason you may want to use path failover software with ABS is for NIC resiliency within the host consuming the ABS storage.  You can use either native MPIO or NIC teaming to achieve NIC resiliency.  

If the OS consuming ABS storage is a VM, most times you don't need NIC resiliency within the guest because this is already applied at the hypervisor level in the form of a team or bond.  

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Mike

Chevalier

@mmcghee just curious in what case you need to deploy ABS in Nutanix cluster to Nutanix cluster connection ? as ABS built to utilize iSCSI making Nutanix as storage only function 

Nutanix Employee

Hi @bezeddin

To form a guest cluster that requires SCSI-3 persistent reservations, ABS is one way to accomplish this depending on the underlying hypervisor.  For example, ESXi virtual machines used for an MS SQL failover cluster instance (FCI).  SQL FCI is a common scenario where a VM would leverage ABS.  

ABS also allows concurrent access to all of the CVMs in a cluster.  This allows for a single application to scale up.  This is not a common use case but there are examples where extreme performance requirements may call for ABS.

Thanks,

Mike