Installation & Configuration

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Node Vmware Cluster using Nutanix

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Wayfarer

2 Node Vmware Cluster using Nutanix

Hi Team,

I am failrly new to Nutanix and Next Community your help will be appreciated. I have a few questions to start with 

1) I have 17 Nutanix Nodes and can I create 2 VMware Clusters (Not Nutanix Clusters ) 1 for Management and 1 for Payload. Basically I am planning to use only 2 nodes for Management and 15 for Payload.

2) Is Self Service Restore (SSR ) Supported on Linked Clone Machines. Since this is a Horizon Environment.

3) List of Operating System Supported for WIndows Clustering. This is basically for File Server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: 2 Node Vmware Cluster using Nutanix

1) Sure, you can do this, but is there a design requirement to do this? Usually a typical management cluster requirement would drive needs for complete separation, such that one is truly independent of another.

That said, people do it, and it works.

2) What's the requirement here? What we generally see is linked clone environments means some sort of rapid refresh from a master image, which means you're generally not backing up or snapshotting the VM's themselves, and user data is stored somewhere else. Usually we only see people doing SSR with full clone desktops.

3) Depending on what you're licensed for on the Nutanix side, you could use Nutanix AFS instead, which would greatly simplify getting this up and running, and everything is simply managed via Nutanix prism. That said, you could do windows clustering with Nutanix ABS, which is in-guest iSCSI from the Nutanix controllers to two windows file servers.

Requirements and supported clients are here: https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v51:wc-block-service.... This is the 5.1 listing. We're looking at adding 2016 support in the very next release, which is in final QA. Assuming QA goes well, we'll have it there, though you'll have to wait for GA to validate whether it made the release or not.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
1 REPLY
Moderator Moderator

Re: 2 Node Vmware Cluster using Nutanix

1) Sure, you can do this, but is there a design requirement to do this? Usually a typical management cluster requirement would drive needs for complete separation, such that one is truly independent of another.

That said, people do it, and it works.

2) What's the requirement here? What we generally see is linked clone environments means some sort of rapid refresh from a master image, which means you're generally not backing up or snapshotting the VM's themselves, and user data is stored somewhere else. Usually we only see people doing SSR with full clone desktops.

3) Depending on what you're licensed for on the Nutanix side, you could use Nutanix AFS instead, which would greatly simplify getting this up and running, and everything is simply managed via Nutanix prism. That said, you could do windows clustering with Nutanix ABS, which is in-guest iSCSI from the Nutanix controllers to two windows file servers.

Requirements and supported clients are here: https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/docs/details?targetId=Web-Console-Guide-Prism-v51:wc-block-service.... This is the 5.1 listing. We're looking at adding 2016 support in the very next release, which is in final QA. Assuming QA goes well, we'll have it there, though you'll have to wait for GA to validate whether it made the release or not.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!