How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nutanix cluster utilization threshold

Adventurer

nutanix cluster utilization threshold

what cluster utilization thrshold should one consider in terms of memory and storage in AHV based cluster ?

I mean at what stage nutanix admin should consider that cluster is over utilised ?

is 75 % memory & disk utilization is ok or it can be extended till 85-90 %

3 REPLIES
Outrider

Re: nutanix cluster utilization threshold

@jitendra

you can try Prism central to manage and overprovision as well as give you some hints about resources forecast as you are willing to

Adventurer

Hello Community,

Current utilization of cluster is 87% with HA enabled and now we are in need to provision few more VMs on this cluster.
After provisioning allocated memory utilization of cluster would reach or cross 100%  however actual memory utilization of all VMs is around 50-55%.

Need expert suggestions,

if I can perform above said additional provisioning or it will impact cluster ?

what will happned when I allocate 100% or more memory for VMs ?

will it show any warning ?

will there be any problem in powering on the VMs ?

what should be maximum memory utilization threshold one should consider when putting load on Nutanix cluster ? for ex. 70%, 80% or 90% ?

Highlighted
Nutanix Employee

Hello Jitendra ,

if I can perform above said additional provisioning or it will impact cluster ?

Answer : You may run into the issue of not having enough of storage resources to rebuild or migration of VM due to lack of resources available .

what will happned when I allocate 100% or more memory for VMs ?

Answer :  The system will not be able to tolerate a node failure since there is no resoruces available to migrate.

will it show any warning ?
Answer : It will show you all kinds of resource warnings

will there be any problem in powering on the VMs ?

Answer : If you want to migrate VM of a host to other host you won't be able to since you have used all the resources and you may experince performance issue .