How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Vmotion on nutanix Cluster

Explorer

Storage Vmotion on nutanix Cluster

I have one singale storage pool and 3 containers configured on ESXi Clsuter,if i have got latency issues on  one Container , can we do storage Vmotion to reduce IOPS on nutanix  ?as we do in  normal vsphere environment with shared SAN.

2 REPLIES
Trailblazer

Re: Storage Vmotion on nutanix Cluster

I know you are running ESXi but Nutanix recommends that you use a single container in an AHV cluster to simplify VM and image management. I apply the same logic with ESXi. Keep it simple. Dedupe, Compression, Erasure Coding, etc will all be handled automagically unless you need to use these features separately which then different containers make sense. Smiley Happy

With that said, you can do sVMotion to another container as that is just another datasore. But I do not see how this would help increase IOPS as it is all apart of the same DSF anyway. 

What you could do it allow VM’s and virtual disks to be pinned to the flash tier on a discrete basis as needed. We have a very large Nutanix footprint with some very IO intensive applications and we have never had to do this. 

Explorer

Re: Storage Vmotion on nutanix Cluster

Thanks for reply ,I understand , I want to  know  the procedure how to pinned some particuler HDD and VMS to SSD tier manually?

Could you provide the steps to do that in order to reduce IOPS on particular Nutanix container?

and what more stepes we can take to distribute higer IOPS in DFS cluster.

Thnks

Akash