How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nutanix Bible question

SOLVED Go to solution
Trendsetter

Nutanix Bible question

Hi friends, Have you finished bible reading ? Any questions and insights for sharing ? I think it really cool book. but come into puzzle sometimes. 1) original text: "Cassandra is on the first SSD by default, and if that SSD fails the CVM will be restarted and Cassandra storage will then be on the 2nd." my doubt: I know Cassandra stores metadata with RF3 or RF5. but From tible insight Cassandra is only store on first SSD, where does the other RF replica reside ? and there first SSD fails, how does cassandra data survive on the 2nd ? 2) About Curator question: What`s Full scan and Patial scan ? I notice they are referenced many times in guide. for example "These should always be up to date, however to refresh the data you can kick off a Curator partial scan" and "There are two scan types for Curator, a full scan which occurs around every 6 hours and a partial scan which occurs every hour." 3) section 3.2.7.1 "Erasure Coding" EC Strip Size (data/parity blocks): FT1 is X/1 , FT2 is X/2 My question: it seems data block can be ajusted ? if so, is there a rule to change it or any X number ? can FT1 be with X/2, also FT2 with X/1, even Parity block is 2+ ? 4) Async DR: I just can`t find the GUI location to configure the remote cluster(IP,destination backup container) ? and what`s TM3 ? appreciate any help !
Xiaowei | Nutanix-NPP | NetApp-NCDA NCIE |@jolinvsshane
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: Nutanix Bible question

RE Cassandra

Other RF replicas live on other nodes.

For now, cassandra lives on one SSD per node. In the future, this will change, but either way, you're fully protected, so if that SSD dies, there really isn't anything to worry about.

RE Curator Partial vs Full

This refers to the amount of tasks with the various mapreduce scans that curator manages. 

Full scans have more tasks, tasks that dont need to be done frequently, hence it runs onces every 6 hours.

RE Erasure Coding "X" adjustment

Yes, the "X" can be adjusted via CLI, assuming you have a big enough cluster to support it, but we only recommend using the defaults. Keep it simple.

RE EC FT1/FT2 things

no, you can not make FT1 /2 or FT2 /1, nor can you have more than 2 parity blocks. This would add way more overhead and complexity, and I can't imagine a situation where that requirement would come up.

RE Remote Cluster

GUI is under Data Protection, Remote Sites

The Option to configure is "+Remote Site"

RE TM3

Not sure what you are talking about

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
2 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

RE Cassandra

Other RF replicas live on other nodes.

For now, cassandra lives on one SSD per node. In the future, this will change, but either way, you're fully protected, so if that SSD dies, there really isn't anything to worry about.

RE Curator Partial vs Full

This refers to the amount of tasks with the various mapreduce scans that curator manages. 

Full scans have more tasks, tasks that dont need to be done frequently, hence it runs onces every 6 hours.

RE Erasure Coding "X" adjustment

Yes, the "X" can be adjusted via CLI, assuming you have a big enough cluster to support it, but we only recommend using the defaults. Keep it simple.

RE EC FT1/FT2 things

no, you can not make FT1 /2 or FT2 /1, nor can you have more than 2 parity blocks. This would add way more overhead and complexity, and I can't imagine a situation where that requirement would come up.

RE Remote Cluster

GUI is under Data Protection, Remote Sites

The Option to configure is "+Remote Site"

RE TM3

Not sure what you are talking about

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Highlighted
Trendsetter

Hi Jon,

Perfect !

Thank you very much for all your help.  

P.S forget "TM3", my mistake. It`s just an ramdom remote site cluster name in Bible.

best regards.

Xiaowei | Nutanix-NPP | NetApp-NCDA NCIE |@jolinvsshane