How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from VMWare to Acropolis with existing hardware

Adventurer

Moving from VMWare to Acropolis with existing hardware

Hi community!

I am new for Nutanix / Acropolis, but I get project to investigate possibilities to move from VMWare ecosystem to Nutanix / Acropolis.

The thing is that in many of our data center we have quite new hardware so replacing out HW with Nutanix is out of the question.

So I take example from one of our data center. We have 3 node vSphere cluster with SAN (iSCSI) storage. All is DellEMC VX series HW and SAN storage is also DellEMC (SC4020 if I recall correctly).

Question is that can I install Acropolis to my hardware and start migration from VMWare?

Because we won’t replace HW in at least 3 years and surely I do not get CAPEX to new HW as we are running under 1 year old HW.

Let’s assume here that I can uninstall one vSpehre (ESXi) and install Acropolis there and use same SAN (new LUNs or attach existing ones).

So process would be like this:
- Move VMs from one ESXi to other ESXis
- Uninstall one ESXi and install Acropolis
- Attach same SAN to Acropolis
- Migrate VMs to Acropolis from first ESXi
- Uninstall second ESXi (that we just emptied) and install Acropolis...

And so on until ESXis are removed and all is running on Acropolis on “old” Dell EMC hardware.
4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Moving from VMWare to Acropolis with existing hardware

Hi @jlahtela

Thanks for reaching out, I'm going to ping someone internally and get you connected to the right people. I just want to ensure we get you what you need to make an informed decision - Thanks 

--
Community Manager, Nutanix
Question Answered? Click Accept as Solution!
Adventurer

Hi @aluciani

Great much appreciated!

Previous was just one example from our data center. We have of course many and case differences in those.
Community Manager

Hi @jlahtela

Forgot to ask earlier, will you be attending our user conference .NEXT in Nice, France this year? If yes, be great to connect in person. Thanks

--
Community Manager, Nutanix
Question Answered? Click Accept as Solution!
Adventurer

Hi @aluciani

This project started so fast that I did not have chance to look in to conference.

Surely if we get in to implementation I will look forward to coming conferences and certification.

Now my focus is in this (among other projects) and making plan and analysis of this project for next year.