How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data movement from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix

SOLVED Go to solution
Outrider

Data movement from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix

What is the best way to copy data from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Outrider

Re: Data movement from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix

Gyus, Thanks for support. I wnat to update you we have successfully migrated 30 TB data from EMC VNXE3100 to Nutanix with existing settings i.e rights

Used robocopy for the same.

Again thanks for the support.

19 REPLIES
Community Manager

HI @ashishs

I'm going to move this question to the right forum - I don't think this is a CE question.

Let me know otherwise - Thanks 

--
Community Manager, Nutanix
Question Answered? Click Accept as Solution!
Outrider

Ok, thank you....I got the update, there is no option, simple copy / past.

As nutanix not worked as NAS with hyperv (required licence), Neeed to create VM and assigne LUN as a drive, so users will access the drive using VM IP address....

Nutanix Employee

Hi,

there are multiple ways of moving data from a non Nutanix system to a Nutanix system. Got a few questions before i can point you in the right direction.

1, Is it VMs you want to move to Nutnaix?

2, If yes on 1, what hypervisor are you running today?

thanks 

//Magnus

Outrider

For physical and virtual servers will go with p2v and v2v....

I want for NAS data..emc vnxe3100

Nutanix Employee

ok, good to know. is your intention to use Nutanix AFS or VMs providing NFS access to VMs?

See this for Nutanix AFS infotrmation http://go.nutanix.com/rs/031-GVQ-112/images/acropolis-file-services.pdf 

Outrider

AFS required licence, so VMs providing NFS is only option for me. Need to create VM and assign LUN as a drive...

Let me know if anyone have any other options...

Nutanix Employee

well you can use VM with one virtual disk, VM with multiple virtual disks (in a stripe or as standalone targets) or VM with ABS. One way or another you need to do the file copy between the servers.

Remember the oplog limit per vDisk which is 6 GB so you'll get better performance with multiple virtual disks compared to one large single virtual disk if you got a lot of changes going on.

Are you looking at Linux of Windows VM as your NFS VM?

Outrider

Looking for Windows vms....I have 30 TB data with 7 shares on EMC, what will be the best way...

1. Create 1 VM and create 7vdisks?

2. Crerate 7 vms and assign 1 vdisk per vm?

3. Any other?

Nutanix Employee

hard to do a design based on only the conversation above since i have no idea about access pattern, working set (changes per day), number of file, catalogs, users, systems and so on. Last time i did a VM based NFS design i used multiple files where no one was bigger than 500 GB and have multiple of them in a LVM group.

thanks