How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About License model

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Trendsetter

About License model

HI Teams,

as we know , nutanix has 3 type license type: embedded with NOS and free Starter,  pro , ultimate

1)is it based one node or cluster ? after adding new node to cluster, is  new license code required ?

2) I found my pro license has a one year expiration date ! just like a test or temp license.

the support team told me  "The licenses were purchased only for 1 year hence the license expiry date shows 2/10/2017.The Nutanix licenses terms are 1yr, 2yrs, 3yrs or 6yrs depending on the term of license purchased."

but in my opinion, i think it should not have an expire date for formal license. 

in fact, many vendors give user permanent license. and hardware or tech support can have time limit,typically 3Y / 5 Years.

I just can`t understand why nutanix make mix software license and support agreement together.

Hope I have made my qustion clearly.

Xiaowei | Nutanix-NPP | NetApp-NCDA NCIE |@jolinvsshane
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Moderator

Re: About License model

@xiaowei - 

Licenses are not tied to support agreements, they are separate line items on our quotes; however, customers usually purchase the two items for similar lengths of time as that makes renewals easier.

Most customers, at least in the US, buy "Device" licenses as an option. These licenses are permanent license for the life the that node.

That said, thats usually a bit more expensive, so when customers need to fit into a lower budget, they may chose to pick a shorter license term length.

Support agreements are completely different. They are generally sold in 1, 3, or 5 year terms (though some customers go with 2, 4, 6, and even 7 in some special cases (7 years is usually an exception).

For example, I could buy a 1 year license, and a 3 year support agreement, or vice versa (3 year license, and a 1 year support agreement).

This is also sometimes done because of the way customer budget cycles work, they CANT buy long term licenses, or some can't buy short term licenses or support agreements, because of their business policies. Each customer is different of course.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
11 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

@xiaowei - 

Licenses are not tied to support agreements, they are separate line items on our quotes; however, customers usually purchase the two items for similar lengths of time as that makes renewals easier.

Most customers, at least in the US, buy "Device" licenses as an option. These licenses are permanent license for the life the that node.

That said, thats usually a bit more expensive, so when customers need to fit into a lower budget, they may chose to pick a shorter license term length.

Support agreements are completely different. They are generally sold in 1, 3, or 5 year terms (though some customers go with 2, 4, 6, and even 7 in some special cases (7 years is usually an exception).

For example, I could buy a 1 year license, and a 3 year support agreement, or vice versa (3 year license, and a 1 year support agreement).

This is also sometimes done because of the way customer budget cycles work, they CANT buy long term licenses, or some can't buy short term licenses or support agreements, because of their business policies. Each customer is different of course.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trendsetter

Hello  Jon,

many thanks. you answered all I want to know.  and you are the only one I met get it  right

Xiaowei | Nutanix-NPP | NetApp-NCDA NCIE |@jolinvsshane
Trailblazer

Hi Jon,

Does that mean that a nutanix appliance will stop working when a license expires? or only the ability to do updates and upgrades?

Moderator Moderator

Well, if we're strictly talking about AOS licensing, its more of a slap on the wrist in Prism, nothing stops working at (Day license Expires + 1 minute), just a banner saying your license expired.

If you're using Pro or Ultimate features, we would love to be paid for that Smiley Happy

Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

Ah ok, so if we have pro license the features from pro will stop working and the license will revert back to a "starter" one? Is that the same regardless if using Nutanix or Dell/Lenovo? M
Moderator Moderator

Nope, thats the opposite of what I'm saying. 

It WONT stop working after the licenses, i.e it will keep working, it just gives you an alarm in Prism.

Please Kudos if useful!
Adventurer

if i add a node with starter license to the cluster that contains several nodes licensed with PRO.  WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF THIS? 

Thanks ! 

Moderator Moderator

@KT_2016 - it will give you a warning asking you to update the license file, but continue to work 

Please Kudos if useful!
Adventurer

It continues to work w/starter license. Is it right?