How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFS - Proof Of Concept

Journeyman

AFS - Proof Of Concept

Hi Team,

We have started an AFS proof of concept in our enterprise environment. This is intended to be used for all our data and home drives. I am looking for support for the below:

1. Is there a way to change the share folder path from c:\home? or c:\<share name>? 

2. Any recommendations on using a file server stress tool to mimic 1000's of user sessions and multiple file server access scenerios i.e. read, write, delete, move, copy...?

3. Has anyone used the Microsoft Capacity test tool? This seems to be the number 1 tool to test file servers. It looks like the tool formats the volume as part of the infrastructure deployment and therefore will delete terabytes of data that we have already copied. We would like confirmation on whether the ile server capacity tool can be used to stress test.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Re: AFS - Proof Of Concept

Hi @NTNX_Fadz ,

Thanks for doing a proof of concept with AFS.  I work on the AFS performance team and have done some testing like you describe.  The Microsoft File Services Capacity Tool (FSCT) can be used to complete a rigorous set of testing multiple file operation types with hundreds to thousands of users.  Send me an email with your name/company and what you are trying to do and I will respond.  

Thanks,

Dan Chilton

daniel.chilton@nutanix.com

Tags (1)
Journeyman

Thanks for your reply Dan. I have reached out to you via email. Looking forward to working with you on this.

Community Manager

Thanks @dan__chilton for helping here.

Also @NTNX_Fadz keep the community informed here on your progress - it would benefit everyone to hear your experince. Thanks 

--
Community Manager, Nutanix
Question Answered? Click Accept as Solution!
Trailblazer

Dan, I'm going to contact you as well since I am in the same position and this thread doesn't yet show what resulted from these efforts. 

dan__chilton wrote:

Hi @NTNX_Fadz ,

Thanks for doing a proof of concept with AFS.  I work on the AFS performance team and have done some testing like you describe.  The Microsoft File Services Capacity Tool (FSCT) can be used to complete a rigorous set of testing multiple file operation types with hundreds to thousands of users.  Send me an email with your name/company and what you are trying to do and I will respond.  

Thanks,

Dan Chilton

daniel.chilton@nutanix.com

Nutanix Employee

Hi Wayfarer,

Glad to help if I can.  I have been working with Fadi on setting up FSCT and it is a time consuming process.  While it does help demonstrate connections, home directories, etc., it can take a lot of work to set up. We use the tool within our performance team to stress the fileserver so that our customers don't have to devote that time.  If you can share more about what your goals are, perhaps I can share some documentation or answer questions without the need for you to run the tool.  Either way I am happy to help.

Thanks,

Dan

Trailblazer

We don't have a huge number of users, but I need a best practice for about 7.5 Tb - 8 Tb of user files and storage. About half of that is traditional windows "home" directories mapped to users, and the other have is basic traditional shares on a couple of Windows file servers. Some design considerations are;

• preserve ACLs on directories and files (traditional NTFS security settings)
  • use "previous versions" if possible
  • possible use of windows abilities like file screening, quotas, etc.

to me it seems like there are two options;

1) AFS

2) VM on NX with File Server roles and massive volumes for storage

Just looking for best practices and some input on the availability of the windows features on AFS.

Nutanix Employee

HI

The AFS tech note should have you covered. -> https://www.nutanix.com/go/simplifying-file-storage-with-acropolis-file-services.php

I would use a home share for all of your user shares and then use the general share for the rest of your shares. Quotas are avaiable on AFS but we don't have file screening.  Previous version is also avaiable on AFS. You can setup the schedule from the UI.

-DL

Trailblazer

exactly the type of document I was looking for.