How It Works

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 datacenter nutanix setup

SOLVED Go to solution
Pathfinder

2 datacenter nutanix setup

Hi,

I just started with testing a nutanix setup. I got a NX-3060-G5  which I can test temporarly.

This works fine with the AHV hypervisor.

Now I have an additional question. This NX-3060-G5 contains 4 appliances in 1 node. I would like to know if it is possible to build a nutanix setup where those applainces are split into 2 datacenters. The datacenters are close to each other and have the possibility to be connected over 1GB of 10GB network.

Is this possible if we get another NX-3060-G5 node and place this one in the other datacenter or can this be achieved by buying 3 or 4 nodes with only 1 appliance inside and split those over 2 datacenters?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: 2 datacenter nutanix setup

If you are suggesting putting all of these units in one "cluster" remember, unless something has recently changed, Nutanix will not be aware of a "site" when thinking about “FTT” or failure to tolerate.  This means that you may lose your entire cluster if one site goes offline when putting all your nodes in a single cluster across two datacenters. 

I would think the more approprate solution (based on the limited information provided) would be to build two separate clusters and using Metro to replicate between the two.  Remember, each cluster in Nutanix needs a minimum number of nodes.  The minimum number of nodes per cluster (3, last I checked) can be in one chassis or across several.  You can read more about Metro it here:

http://go.nutanix.com/rs/nutanix/images/Metro-Availability-Data-Sheet.pdf

Hopes this helps!

3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Adventurer

If you are suggesting putting all of these units in one "cluster" remember, unless something has recently changed, Nutanix will not be aware of a "site" when thinking about “FTT” or failure to tolerate.  This means that you may lose your entire cluster if one site goes offline when putting all your nodes in a single cluster across two datacenters. 

I would think the more approprate solution (based on the limited information provided) would be to build two separate clusters and using Metro to replicate between the two.  Remember, each cluster in Nutanix needs a minimum number of nodes.  The minimum number of nodes per cluster (3, last I checked) can be in one chassis or across several.  You can read more about Metro it here:

http://go.nutanix.com/rs/nutanix/images/Metro-Availability-Data-Sheet.pdf

Hopes this helps!

Pathfinder

Yes I see, so adding a 2nd node with 4 appliances in another datacenter and making a cluster over those 2 datacenters would not be a good idea due to the redundancy factor which has a limited amount of hosts that may fail.

Indeed if you then turn off power in one datacenter it would mean 1 node with 4 appliances in my cluster go down which would be to much for the cluster to survive.

The metro availabilty does it work with the AHV hypervisor? 

Adventurer

Yes, Metro does work with AHV. 

I would suggest you reach out to a sales engineer at Nutanix in order to find the best solution.  They can learn exactly what your environment looks like and then point you in the right direction.