Get Started

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Domain Found

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Explorer

No Domain Found

I've been fighting some issues with networking at home so I finally descided to wipe everything clean and start from scratch, reconfiguring my network IP ranges and rebuilding my lab.  Prior to this I had a CVM fail and when I ran virsh I encountered a "no domain found" error along with no present XML to work with.  Since i was rebuilding I didn't bother looking into it.  However, after the rebuild, I'm fighting the same issue.  I'm still seeing "no domain found" even though the CE installation succeeded without issue.  I checked the NUCs and disks and memory are fine, networking is fine as I can ping and SSH to AHV without issue.  When this originally occured I tried to run NCC checks and it skipped the CVM as it could not connect to it.  This is also following the host so not entirely sure what could be going on.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nutanix Employee

Re: No Domain Found

Hello,

You can confirm that the XML file is present by checking in the /etc/libvirt/qemu directory on the AHV host. If the file is present, you can execute the command "virsh define NTNX-*-CVM.xml" define the VM.  You should then be able to start the VM.  You'll also want to run "virsh autostart NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM" so that the VM starts with the node on reboot.

If the file is not present, you can take the following steps (as root on the AVH host) to recreate it:

1)  Navigate to /root directory.

A "NTNX-CVM.xml" file will be located here. Note this is a "vanilla" CVM configuration. The following fields will likely need to be modified to match the previous NTNX CVM configuration:

<name>NTNX-<BLOCK_SERIAL>-<NODE>-CVM</name>                   Modify to match the hostname as needed
  <memory unit="KiB">16777216</memory>       Memory unit and Current unit would be modified if the CVM was modified from the default values
  <currentMemory unit="KiB">16777216</currentMemory>

Note: Additonal .XML fields may require modification based on your deployment (i.e Network Interfaces).

2)  Make a copy of the NTNX-CVM.xml from the /root directory

cp NTNX-CVM.xml /etc/libvirt/qemu/NTNX-<BLOCK_SERIAL>-<NODE>-CVM.xml

3)  Edit/ Modify the copy of the .xml file to suit the previous CVM instances configuration.

$ vi /etc/libvirt/qemu/NTNX-<BLOCK_SERIAL>-<NODE>-CVM.xml

4)  Define the CVM

$ virsh define/etc/libvirt/qemu/NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM.xml

5)  Start the CVM.

$ virsh start NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM

6)  Configure autostart in KVM so the CVM boots up with the host

$ virsh autostart NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM

3 REPLIES
Nutanix Employee

Hello,

You can confirm that the XML file is present by checking in the /etc/libvirt/qemu directory on the AHV host. If the file is present, you can execute the command "virsh define NTNX-*-CVM.xml" define the VM.  You should then be able to start the VM.  You'll also want to run "virsh autostart NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM" so that the VM starts with the node on reboot.

If the file is not present, you can take the following steps (as root on the AVH host) to recreate it:

1)  Navigate to /root directory.

A "NTNX-CVM.xml" file will be located here. Note this is a "vanilla" CVM configuration. The following fields will likely need to be modified to match the previous NTNX CVM configuration:

<name>NTNX-<BLOCK_SERIAL>-<NODE>-CVM</name>                   Modify to match the hostname as needed
  <memory unit="KiB">16777216</memory>       Memory unit and Current unit would be modified if the CVM was modified from the default values
  <currentMemory unit="KiB">16777216</currentMemory>

Note: Additonal .XML fields may require modification based on your deployment (i.e Network Interfaces).

2)  Make a copy of the NTNX-CVM.xml from the /root directory

cp NTNX-CVM.xml /etc/libvirt/qemu/NTNX-<BLOCK_SERIAL>-<NODE>-CVM.xml

3)  Edit/ Modify the copy of the .xml file to suit the previous CVM instances configuration.

$ vi /etc/libvirt/qemu/NTNX-<BLOCK_SERIAL>-<NODE>-CVM.xml

4)  Define the CVM

$ virsh define/etc/libvirt/qemu/NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM.xml

5)  Start the CVM.

$ virsh start NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM

6)  Configure autostart in KVM so the CVM boots up with the host

$ virsh autostart NTNX-<NEW_NAME>-CVM

Explorer

That's great to know, I'll give it a show tonight as I was able to confirm the xml is "empty" so I'll build from the vanilla image and see if it helps. Out of curiosity if this issue were to happen in a hyper-v or esxi instance how would one go about rebuilding the cvm?
Explorer

thanks again, looks like that did it.  didn't need to do any reconfigurations.  oddly enough there was an empty xml present in /etc/libvirt/qemu.  once copied it over from /root it  and started it, the cluster showed as ok.  any particular reason why the CVM "disappears" like that? when running virsh list --all (or --inactive) nothing is listed.  regardless, thanks again for your help!