Containers

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move VM between containers AHV

Explorer

Move VM between containers AHV

Hi All , am i the only one with this problem ?

I wasn't able to move a virtual disk from one container to another.

Tried clon , copy , vm.disk_update .....

I'm thinking that maybe export and import vm again is the only way to acomplish this....

Regards,

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES
Moderator Moderator

Re: Move VM between containers AHV

We have this proces covered in KB 2663: https://portal.nutanix.com/#/page/kbs/details?targetId=kA032000000TTqoCAG

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Tags (4)
Wayfarer

The KB article referenced affects AHV 4.1.x .

Does it imply this approach does not work on version >4.1.x

If I wanted to move vdisks between containers on AHV 4.7 or AHV 5.0 , would the KB2663 approach still apply?

Tags (4)
Wayfarer

@mmigone were you successful with the move? what version of AHV is your cluster running?

Tags (4)
Explorer

It's a bit weird that there is no such basic function as moving a VM disk between containers. Guys this is basic stuff... 

Tags (4)
Moderator Moderator

@konfu thank you for the candid feedback, we appreciate it. I'm curious, in your case, I've got a few questions

1) what drove the need to move a VM from one container to another? 

2) What do you use the multiple containers for? e.g separating separate business units or applications? or managing data reduction policies separate?

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Tags (4)
Wayfarer

Hey @Jon

This bugs me also, I replicated a Template from another site and had to do it to the Nutanix Managment Store. I want to move it to the container I created for VM's but it apperas there is no way to do this. Also on a hybrid array someone may have a datastore created that does not have flash tier enabled and wants to move a vm out of that datastore to one that does have the flash tier enabled.

Tags (4)
Highlighted
Moderator Moderator

hey David, 

I getcha, that makes sense.

Short term, from a replication perspective, depending on how you have your topology setup, you could do a datastore mapping (in the remote site settings) such that the VM you'd replicate would get directed into the right container. Either way, I see your point

WRT Hybrid - you'd have to intentionally disable tiering at the CLI level to make that happen, which is to say that all datastores have flash enabled in the nutanix world unless you try real hard to make that not the case.

Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

Jon,

The problem I having with replication is, I am doing crosssite replicaiton for a few VM's and once that datastore is selected I am unabe to use it again.

For Example this is how it is setup now

Site 1                         to                         Arcive at site 2

Site1datastore                                      Site1Datastore_Vault

However, I want to send someting from Site2's primary datastore, I am unable to select Site1's primary datastore as it is already in use in the datastore mapping.  Lucily I am just moving OS templates right now so I am moving them into the Image use the acli create image command.

Squire

-----> 2)

e.g: its hard to get some data reduction in vms running database and media servers. in this cases we should move those vms to another containers without data reduction policies. is there some way to do that?