Backup and Recovery

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you using for backup Nutanix?

SOLVED Go to solution
Trailblazer

Re: What are you using for backup Nutanix?

An additional option I didn't see posted yet is Rubrik. It's way more than just a basic backup utility and is integrated with AHV and vSphere. More info on Rubrik and AHV here https://www.rubrik.com/blog/data-management-nutanix-ahv/

When looking at backup/DR software, remember to consider the functionality you already have built into the Nutanix software. Features like snapshots, remote replication,  self-service restore and one click recovery are all in there. https://www.nutanix.com/solutions/data-protection-disaster-recovery/

Whatever tool you choose, remember to test the recovery plan :-)

Tags (3)
Highlighted
Trailblazer

No backup software supports backing up AFS.  

In this blog post AFS Adds New Capabilities Through An Expanding Partner Ecosystem it states "Nutanix has started working with Comtrade and Rubrik to add support for these API’s, with active discussions with other vendors." 

It seems that Comrade and Rubrik will be the first to market using native API's for AFS backup.

Tags (4)
Apprentice

I agree with @jtempleton, Rubrik is a good companion to Nutanix and will be for backing up very soon.

Explorer

I was really interested in looking at HYCU. What are the experiences of anyone that is using it?

FIG
Wayfarer

How are you using Veeam Backup within Nutanix?

Adventurer

Using the veeam agents..

FIG
Wayfarer

Thank you

Voyager

I'm new to Nutanix and this thread has me curious.  Is it impractical to use Nutanix snapshots for backups assuming you have the disk capacity and a remote site?

Trailblazer

As you alluded to, snapshots themselves are not backups. But even if you're replicating the snapshots to a remote system, how would you catelog or search those snapshots for the data you need? file level recovery would involve restoring a snapshot, mounting the data and pulling the file. Doable? Yes. Practicle? Not really. This is where backup software come in to help maintain the catelog of what data was backed up when and then provide the means to reach in and get you the exact data you need.

Also worth noting, that depending on your snapshot retention policies, if the source file is deleted before anyone knows it, that deletion is replicated and there might not be a file to recover.

The 3-2-1 method still applies to Nutanix platforms just like any other. Ideally you have three copies of your data on two different media/devices and one copy offsite from the source.

Trailblazer

If you have malware on your system that is encrypting files that you have not detected, then you will just be saving the malware and encrypted files in your snapshots. With a backup you can restore to a previous version. OK you might have some data loss, but that is better than losing a complete system.

If you have a requirement to keep month end and year end backups for compliance purposes then Nutanix snapshots are not suited for this.  For longer term backups Hycu, Veeam etc are better for this.

As mikegelhar says in his post, its good practice to follow the 3-2-1 rule.

Tags (4)