Backup and Recovery

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost for backup to Azure or AWS

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted
Wayfarer

Cost for backup to Azure or AWS

I'm looking into backing up our Nutanix Acropolis cluster to either Azure or AWS.  What I'm curious about are the actual costs once you factor in not just their basic storage rate, but Puts and data writes and everything that happens during a backup and restore (rare as those would be).  

We have around 5 TB total with all our VMs, with the daily snapshots averaging around 40GB in changed data.  We would want to retain maybe a month's worth of backups with dailies and weeklies. 

Is this enough data to do a decent estimate, or is it one of those 'Try and see' scenarios? I'd be interested in anybody else that's utilizaing it as a remote backup site and what kinds of costs they're seeing.

Thanks!

Clint

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer

Re: Cost for backup to Azure or AWS

I trialled this but it was not the right solution for us, for several reasons.
Initially it looked like we could make a cost saving on Commvault licensing but the benefits disappeared as our backup set grew.

Once you reach a certain amount of data, I believe 10 TB, you will need to upgrade your virtual controller instance which will double your compute cost. We also got stung by the exchange rate.
Initially the Kiwi dollar was 1:1 to the US dollar but that changed to 1:1.5 which drove up the cost quite a bit. In the end it was costing us like $1,200 a month which was more expensive than our on prem solution. I cannot recall the exact retention details we used.

The performance was not ideal either as we do not have AWS datacentres in New Zealand and the closest one is over in Australia.

I think Cloud Connect is a great solution for the right use case and will definitely investigate again when it supports DR

22 REPLIES
Adventurer

I trialled this but it was not the right solution for us, for several reasons.
Initially it looked like we could make a cost saving on Commvault licensing but the benefits disappeared as our backup set grew.

Once you reach a certain amount of data, I believe 10 TB, you will need to upgrade your virtual controller instance which will double your compute cost. We also got stung by the exchange rate.
Initially the Kiwi dollar was 1:1 to the US dollar but that changed to 1:1.5 which drove up the cost quite a bit. In the end it was costing us like $1,200 a month which was more expensive than our on prem solution. I cannot recall the exact retention details we used.

The performance was not ideal either as we do not have AWS datacentres in New Zealand and the closest one is over in Australia.

I think Cloud Connect is a great solution for the right use case and will definitely investigate again when it supports DR

Wayfarer

Thanks, that helps.  I only considered the storage costs, not compute...for some reason I thought that wasn't applicable if we're only using it for backup and restore.  This is my first dive into these cloud services, guess I have some misconsceptions.  

Right now we're using a combination of open source software and scripts to do backup and I'm trying to make it a little simpler.  We're also considering Commvault, but we don't have any of their products in place at the moment.  

Adventurer

You may want to have a look at Rubrik for your backups too. Trialling at the moment and it seems very simple to use. Another thing I am also considering is to use Nutanix storage nodes at a remote site and replicate my protection domains

Wayfarer

Yeah, I saw Ribrik at the .Next conference.  It looks like a very nice product, but it's way out of our price range.  As is having an additional Nutanix cluster, though that would be my preference.  Unfortunetely I've gotten our agency used to getting by on a shoestring budget.  It was an accomplishment just getting Nutanix in the first place!  I certainly sleep better though.

We're looking at about 10K in licensing for Commvault, backing up to an older NAS I'm taking out of production locally and probably some basic storage server for one of our other locations as our off-site replica.  I was hoping the AWS/Azure option would be cheaper/simpler, but it sounds like that may not be the case!  

I definately appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Moderator Moderator

Yes, you do incure compute costs with cloud connect, as we run a CVM in the cloud to receive the replication data, and then pass that data on to s3/ebs (or blob in azure case).

That said, we're working on reducing that cost, by dynamically switching on an off that cloud CVM in a very future release.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Wayfarer

That's good to hear, thanks Jon.  Still not sure which way we'll go, hard to decide without knowing the ultimate cost!  I wish they had a cost calculator or something, where you could put in your base data, change rate, restore frequency, retention period, etc and get a decent estimate.

Moderator Moderator

The unfortunate part of cloud ... cloud can be a bit of a hotel california WRT to cost transparency.

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!
Trailblazer

AWS has a usefull cost calculator you can use:

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

Please note that storage is not the main costs in a small environment like yours. You need a M1.Xlarge EC2 instance, and that's more expensive than your S3 storage costs.

S3

I just did a calculation and your S3 storage costs would be about 160 USD a month. You can save some money if you would use S3 IA (infrequent access) - this offers the same durability and availability at +/- 35% of the normal S3 pricing. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 14.30.08.png

Transfers are more expensive however, so only recommended on older data. For example, you could set a policy to archive data to S3 IA after 30 days.

EC2

Be aware that EC2 pricing highly depends on the pricing model you choose

(being "on demand", 1 or 3 years "no upfront reserved", 1 or 3 years "partial upfront reserved", 1 or 3 years "All upfront reserved")

Especially 3 years upfront saves you a lot of money (again about 35% of normal pricing),

see the screenshot below:

ec2 m1.xlarge costs

Check out this URL if you want to set S3 lifecycle management (tiering old data to S3 IA) http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/object-lifecycle-mgmt.html

Wayfarer

I had just found that calculator, but I didn't know what type of instance to use.  Thanks for breaking it down for me, really helpful.  At this point, I'm leaning towards getting Commvault and using some older storage hardware as repositories, should minimize the cost and maximize our restore capabilities!